Saturday, May 30, 2009

Dangerous Layers

When summer begins it gets kind of sad in the college department. Most of the students are either home for the summer or doing summer missions somewhere. However, we do have some people who stick around for summer school or come home from other colleges. So, a few weeks ago we had a summer kick-off grill out. The church provided the hamburgers, etc but teachers we asked to bring dessert. I knew that there would be chocolate chip cookies and brownies, so I decided to take something a bit different. There was a brownie that I have had before that is kind of a rocky road brownie but it has a chocolate base. Well, I found this slightly different recipe on Peabody's site (for full recipe, click on the word recipe) and combined the top of that with the browned butter blondies from cooking light. Turned out great! First off, the blondies don't EVEN taste like they come from CL. The browned butter really deepens the flavor. They combined perfectly with the peanutbutter, chocolate, marshmallow topping. PLEASE, just be sure that you label these are having peanut butter. I walked in from somewhere else and found one of the ladies checking her son's stomach...he's allergic and had taken a bite of these! He was fine, benadryl allergy fixed it. I felt horrible but she said they knew there was peanut butter b/c they smelled it, just didn't realize what it was in. Yikes! SO glad I didn't have to pull out my doctor's bag...they had an Epi-Pen Jr. in case it was needed. Despite that, these are a great treat and I recommend them!

Butterscotch Blondies

2 cups all-purpose flour (about 9 ounces)
2 1/2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
10 tablespoon unsalted butter
3/4 cup egg substitute
Cooking spray

Topping Ingredients (from Peabody):
7 ounces mini marshmallows
1 ½ cups milk chocolate chips
1 cup peanut butter
1 TBSP unsalted butter
1 ½ cups Rice Krispies

Preheat oven to 350°.

Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.

Place butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Cook for 6 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Pour into a small bowl, and cool for 10 minutes. Combine butter and egg substitute, stirring with a whisk. Pour butter mixture over flour mixture; stir just until moistened. Spoon batter into a 13 x 9-inch baking pan coated with cooking spray; smooth top with spatula. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Serving size - 2 squares (1/24 of recipe) Calories:170 (without topping)

Remove the blondies from the oven, and immediately sprinkle the marshmallows over them. Return the pan to the oven for 3 more minutes.
While the brownies are baking, place the chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter in a medium saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until melted (or melt all in the microwave using 30-45 second intervals, stirring in between...that's what I did). Remove from heat, add the cereal,and mix well. Allow this to cool for 3 minutes or so.
Spread the mixture evenly over the marshmallow layer. Refrigerate until chilled before cutting. Makes 12 3×3-inch bars.

11 comments:

Peabody said...

Oh I bet those were great with the blondie bottom. I so need to try them that way.

Jaime said...

oh wow! those look so good! you should try these, i think you would like them:

http://www.goodeatsblog.com/2007/12/chocolate-and-peanut-butter-delights.html

Pearl said...

oh those look great!

Unknown said...

Peabody - They were very good! I want to do it with the chocolate base sometime, too, though...I know that is heavenly!

Jaime - Those do look really good. Thanks for the link!

Pearl - Thanks!

Aviva O'Byrne said...

Beautiful! I will try this recipe the next time I get a wild brownie craving. (it happens a little too often then I would like!) I've been concerned about my baking skills because I have yet to make a good brownie, no kidding! The last ones were so dry that I was embarrassed to bring any to work. I told my boyfriend about them and he grabbed them and said he would eat them, but I found them hidden in the back of his fridge a month later! Gross!!

Free Online Recipes said...

your cooking site is nice and great.
i like this site so much...
its a very informative site.

i have a site too...
please add my site into your nice site as Free Online Recipes and give me some

taste of your site.....thanks.

Cate O'Malley said...

They look and sound delicious! You can go wrong with the chocolate and peanut butter combo - yum!

Abby said...

They look wonderful. Peabody's rocks out with the sweets.

And my little one isn't allergic to nuts, thank goodness. I started him in peanut butter at 6 months! I was going with the line of thought I've read that some experts believe holding off on nuts leads to allergies. Makes some sense to me.

I feel sorry for the kids who have to do without. Such a difficult thing to avoid.

Jane said...

These look so good!

I haven't been blog visiting for a while, we've been so busy!

CookiePie said...

Those look delicious -- sooo decadent!

Katrina said...

Wow, Yum! Is there a Dr. in the house? ;)