Monday, May 18, 2009

Changing Seasons

This is the big week...the week I graduate!!!! On Thursday, we have our long coat ceremony, where we transition from our short white coats (a clear sign of a medical STUDENT) to our long coats, which indicate DOCTOR! I bought a new dress for it today and am so excited. Then, on Friday, I will officially graduate! Lots of things to celebrate...and then lots of changes. I'll be super busy with residency, trying to become a proficient and good pediatrician. I know I'll need a break from the kiddos and will make time to do things with friends, but it will become even tougher than it is now. I've been trying to get a certain group of friends together since at least New Years. Well, we finally got together the other day. They all took a break from studying for USMLE Step exams to come enjoy some food and fellowship. We had chicken breast supreme, zucchini, rice, and rolls. I knew they wouldn't require a dessert but I wanted to make a little something. So, I found this recipe on Anna's site. These brownies looked wonderful but wanted to make them bite sized; so, instead of baking in a pan, I baked in my mini-muffin tin. They turned out great...not overly chocolaty but moist and with that delicious crumbly crust on the outside. I provided Starbuck's Carmel Macchiato ice cream to go with it (only one person took me up on that offer). It was the perfect mini-dessert to end the evening with friends.

Julia’s Best-Ever Brownies adapted

1 1/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour (5 oz/145 grams) — measure after sifting
1 teaspoon salt
8 ounces (228 grams) unsalted butter
6 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 cups (380 grams) sugar (divided use)
1 teaspoon (5 ml) pure vanilla extract
4 large eggs

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Stir the sifted flour and salt together in a small bowl; set aside.

Melt the butter in a saucepan set over medium-low heat (or in the microwave like I did). When melted, reduce heat to low and add chopped chocolate, stirring often until it melts. Add 1 cup of the sugar to the mixture and stir for about half a minute. Remove pan from heat and pour into a mixing bowl. Stir in the vanilla.

Whisk the remaining 1 cup sugar and the eggs in a second bowl – Whisk only until combined – don’t over-beat (I hand wisked!). Gradually pour half of the sugar/egg mixture into the bowl with the chocolate mixture, stirring gently so that eggs don’t set from the heat of the chocolate mixture.

Using a hand-held mixer (or your own arm power...this is what I did!), beat the remaining sugar/egg mixture on high speed until it becomes pale and thick (it should double in volume).

Carefully fold the whipped eggs into the chocolate mixture. When the eggs are almost completely incorporated, gently fold in the dry ingredients.

Using a small cookie scooper, scoop the batter into a pre-greased mini-muffin pan. Bake for 16-20 minutes. (mine took a bit longer than this.) Remove and let cool slightly before removing from pan (I tried too early as I was in a hurry and some of them fell apart). The cooking temp and times are courtesy of Peabody. I got 48 mini-brownies!

10 comments:

Peabody said...

OMG!!!! You are graduating!!! That is so exciting. How fabulous you must feel that you are on your way to doctorville! Congrats to you Claire!

Tammy said...

Congratulations! I hope you are able to keep up your blog I love reading about your world and what your cooking! :)

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

Congratulations Claire! You're entering such a wonderful new phase of your life, I just know it's going to be awesome :)

Abby said...

Woo-hoo! Congrats!

Erika W. said...

Congratulations on your graduation this week! I hope you have a great time celebrating with family and friends. Wow! Be blessed Doc!

Brilynn said...

Brownies and ice cream are a wonderful way to celebrate! Congrats!

Annie said...

Congrats Claire. I'm sure it has been grooling at times but in the end it will be all worth it!!!

The brownies look delish, and I couldn't think of a better way to celebrate :)

Cate O'Malley said...

Congrats on your graduation!! The dessert sounds like the perfect mini sweet treat to cap off a great meal.

gail@more than a song said...

You've graduated, congratulations! Great job and I know you're glad to be entering the next phase!

Emily said...

YAY! Congrats! That's awesome.

The brownie bites look great. I can't believe only one person took you up on the ice cream. I would have eaten the entire container.