Friday, May 01, 2009

I'm Leaving On a Jet Plane...

But only if they serve these cookies! This past semester I started working in the college Sunday School at my church. It has been a lot of fun remembering how college was...I forgot how LOUD college girls are! :-) Anyway, a few weeks ago, the college choir led in worship and we decided to have a pizza party afterwards. The adult choir (which I'm also a part of) was asked to bring desserts for the students. So, I took it as an opportunity to try a new cookie recipe. I had seen these on Katrina's site earlier and even tried to make them until I realized I didn't have any nuts. This time, the nuts were available. One of the things that makes these particularly special is that they not only have chopped nuts added at the end but FINELY chopped nuts added in with the flour. This really gives the cookie a nice texture and flavor. I think this is one of the best oatmeal cookies I've made...will definitely make them again. Another intersting fact about them...the recipe came from an Alaskan airlines pilot (thus, the title of the post)!
Alaska Airlines Pilot Oatmeal Cookies, adapted

2 sticks (1 cup) butter
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup walnuts, toasted, crushed finely
2 cups walnuts, toasted, barely chopped
3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1/2 cup Hershey's cinnamon chips
1 cup Hershey's Premier White Baking Chips

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Beat butter and sugars until creamy. Add egg and vanilla and beat well. Combine flour, finely chopped nuts, baking soda, cinnamon and salt and mix together. Add oats, coarsely chopped nuts and any other mix-ins and stir to combine. Bake on parchment lined baking sheets for 11 minutes. Makes about 5 dozen cookies, depending on size.

7 comments:

Pearl said...

i think alaskan airlines would be the most popular airline company if they served these cookies!

FoodsThatFit said...

Yummy cookies!!!

Katrina said...

Awesome yumminess! Your post and photos are making me want them again! ;)

Jaime said...

those look great - i haven't seen that recipe yet

Unknown said...

Pearl - You would think!

FTF - They are...you should try them.

Katrina - Well, I'm glad I can help your memory. :-)

Jaime - It's a good one. Katrina has lots of good cookie recipes.

Jude said...

Sounds wonderful with all of the different textures in it. Oatmeal cookies are all about texture, after all. Yum.

Anonymous said...

Wow, these look like the next Oatmeal cookie I will try!