Monday, May 04, 2009

In Remembrance

Do you remember when there was an event hosted by Cate called ARF-Tuesdays? That post was SO good for me as it forced me to make something each week that was healthy and had antioxidants or lots of veggies/fruit. Now, I do this weekly but tend to do the same thing over and over! So, Cate's even made me try something NEW. Why in remembrance? Because this yummy salad is FULL of great antioxidants! Well, when my Sunday School had an Easter lunch, I decided to take a yummy salad as I knew that most things there would be casseroles. Now, I love broccoli salads, both the yummy mayo-based one and the great marinated one. However, both of these have their own down-sides. The mayo-based one is obvious...LOTS of mayonaisse! The marinated one uses about 1 cup of oil and TWO cups of sugar! I'm just not willing to do that, though I know it is SO good. So, I found one that was better and modified it a bit...turned out GREAT! One of the other teachers, before she knew it was my salad, commented that it was her favorite part of the meal. I've since made it again for my brother's graduation (with dessert recipe to come!)...of course none of the men at it but the ladies enjoyed it! And me, I'm enjoying the leftovers!!! Broccoli Salad
2 hearts of romaine (you could probably use three), chopped
2-3 small heads (one of the packs offered at Kroger) of broccoli, cut into florettes
5 green onions, sliced
2 handfuls of craisins (or more...put what you want!)
3/4 cup walnuts, would be best toasted and cut into quarters
Ramen noodles, crumbled (optional...I didn't use)

Dressing
1/4 cup sugar
2-4 T oil
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar (or cider vinegar)

Directions: Put all salad ingredients in a large bowl with a lid. In a small bowl put the dressing ingredients and whisk together. Pour the dressing over the salad, cap the bowl with the lid, and have some fun shaking it!

7 comments:

Cate O'Malley said...

Oh I'm so glad you enjoyed ARF/5-A-Day so much. :) Sometimes I miss it. Love this salad - I make a slightly similar one ... with bacon. Yum!

Erika said...

Mmm, that salad sounds fantastic! I've been in a real salad and fresh veggie mood lately.

Abby said...

I think I'll make this and take it to our Mother's Day lunch. We'll need something light with all the casseroles on the table!

Katrina said...

This salad looks and sounds SO good!

Emily said...

Mmm this looks delicious. I love broccoli in salads.

Jill said...

That was me!!! It was my favorite part of the meal!!! And I have since made it for another event. It's yummy!

Elle said...

I love broccoli salad, but find most of them to sweet or gloppy...this sounds just perfect, althoug I might add a bit of feta cheese....