Monday, May 26, 2014

Cooking by Letter - Ooh-La-La Oven Pancakes (Gluten Free!)

It's been a while since I've done a post about food much less a cooking by letter post.  Well, I have LOTS of posts to get ready for you.  I'll try to get them going soon.  Back in January, we started doing gluten free again (and we're still doing).  So, when K's "O" recipe was for "Ooh-La-La Oven Pancakes",
I knew I'd have to make it gluten free.  (ON a side note, the title of this recipe made me think of "Fancy Nancy!")  I did it the easiest way possible - using a gluten free flour mix.  Thankfully, I've been getting better at modifying recipes.  This recipe didn't make as much as I'd have liked it to make but it was good and David took the leftovers to work for "second breakfast" - he's Frodo in his dream life I guess.  :-)

As always, K had a great time helping out.  Especially when I let her put chocolate chips on top.  Happy girl!

Ooh-La-La Oven Pancakes
1 cup gluten free flour (a mix or white rice flour)
1 Tablespoon sugar (or splenda)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg
3/4 cup milk (I used buttermilk)
3 Tablespoons butter, melted (could use oil if you wanted to)
chocolate chips for topping

Preheat the oven to 375.  In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt...gently!  We don't want flour flying everywhere.  In a separate bowl, beat together egg and milk.  Then stir in the melted butter and stir together.  Stir the egg mixture into the flour mixture - stir until it is JUST mixed.

Grease an 8x8 baking dish with cooking spray.  Pour the mixture into the pan.  Sprinkle with those chocolate chips...and let your helper eat 1 or 2 that "fall" on the counter. Place the pan into the preheated oven (this is an ADULT step!) and bake for 25 minutes.  Remove from oven when done and allow to cool  until warm. (Another ADULT step!).  Then....ENJOY! (KIDS ESPECIALLY!)

No comments: