Sunday, June 11, 2006


When someone mentions strawberry shortcake for dessert, I think most people think of either bisuit style cakes or the store-bought sponge cakes. I don't. This is what I think of...a homemade cake in a pie pan! This is my strawberry shortcake. The cake recipe comes from Southern Sideboards. I served this at a Sunday School get-together and everyone loved it. They couldn't believe there was no vanilla and thought it had an original flavor.



Shortcake
1 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon each butter, shortening
1/2 cup milk
Strawberries
ice cream

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Stir together dry ingredients. Cut in butter and shortening. Stir in milk. Put in 8 inch pie plate. Sprinkle with extra sugar and dot with butter. Bake for 20 minutes. Serve warm with ice cream, berries, and cool whip.

No comments: