Monday, June 26, 2006

Philip's "Phave"

Can you imagine a college freshman being picky? Well, my brother is picky about his desserts. This is one of the few that he likes. It is a symphony brownie. This is better with the Symphony bars with nuts, but he doesn't like nuts; so, we either use the plain symphony bars or Butterfinger chocolate bars. This is a very EASY but yummy brownie. I think he likes it!

Symphony Brownies

1 pack Martha White brownie mix (for a 13 X 9 pan)
3 symphony (or Butterfinger, really any chocolate bar you want)
ingredients called for on back of brownie mix (probably oil, water, and egg)

Follow mixing instructions and preheating instructions on back of brownie mix. Spread half of batter in the bottom of a 13 x 9 pan. This may seem difficult, but it is possible. I've done it many times! Place the 3 bars on top of this batter. Sometimes I break the bars to spread over the batter evenly. Spread the remaining batter on top of the chocolate bars. Again, this may seem hard, but YOU CAN DO IT!!!! :-) Bake for 31-32 minutes. Yes, a strange time, but it works. Enjoy!

HINT: If you can't wait for it to cool to cut it, use a plastic knife. If pulls right through without crumbling the brownie! Pretty neat stuff. Try it some time!

5 comments:

Annie said...

Brownies always taste better with a some chocolate added. Whenever I make brownies from a mix, I throw in some chocolate chips or better yet chunks, nuts, coconut or whatever I'm in the mood for.
I've never heard of Martha White brownie mix. Is that a local thing?

Unknown said...

I don't know if it's a local thing or not. It's just a brand of brownie. I've used White Lily before as well. Either will work. Martha White also has muffin mixes.

Anonymous said...

Both Martha White and White Lily are "southern" brands of flour products.

Anonymous said...

Claire,

Are these the 1/2 lb bars or the smaller ones @ the checkout counter?

Unknown said...

Annonymous - These are the big bars, I guess half pound. I didn't know they even had small symphony bars. It's what you would get in the candy section. Sometimes Kroger sells them 10 for $10.