Thursday, August 08, 2013

David's Birthday Cookies

So, a couple of posts ago I mentioned a cookie that I made for David to take to work in honor of his birthday.  Here it is. 
My guy is a big fan of chocolate...me, not as much.  I like it but prefer non-chocolate desserts.  However, I found a recipe, of course from Picky Palate (SO many good recipes here!), for a browned butter chocolate chunk cookie on Pinterest (actually, it is the first pin in my "Sweets" board)...and I figured this was a good time to try it out.
 I love browned butter in a cookie.  It just adds such depth to the cookie.  This recipe called for chocolate chunks, but I didn't have any. 
As an afterthought, I added 3 Hershey's chocolate bars to it.  This was a fun change in flavor.  David really enjoyed these, as did everyone else...from the empty container he brought home.  I thought it was pretty good, too...for a chocolate cookie.  ;-)  Test it out for yourself.

Browned Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies from Picky Palate
(I doubled this recipe with no problems!)
Ingredients
  • 1 stick/1/2 cup unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 1/2 cups chocolate chunks
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place butter into a small saucepan over medium heat. Melt and swirl pan until butter is browned with brown bits stuck to the bottomo of the pan. Takes generally 5-8 minutes.

Place sugars into stand mixer and add browned butter mixing to combine. Add egg, vanilla, mixing to combine then add flour, salt, baking soda, cocoa powder and chocolate chunks. Mix until combined then scoop dough onto prepared baking sheet, pressing cookies evenly, about 1/4 inch thick. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Remove and let cookies cool on rack for 10 minutes before transferring to cooling rack.

Enjoy!




No comments: