Sunday, October 28, 2012

Sweet from My Sweet

Mid-September, I went to Ann Arbor for pediatric board review.  It started at 8am on Sunday and finished at 2pm o!n Friday with days ranging from 8-10 hours of lecture.  Sigh...but it was good.  Before I got back, D told me that he was working on a surprise for me.  I love surprises!  Well, after I got settled, he came over to my apartment with some groceries he had picked up for me and my surprise...a caramel pie that he made! 

He's so sweet!  He is definitely a chocolate kind of guy...and I am definitely NOT a chocolate kind of girl.  He made it just because he knows I like caramel.  It was REALLY good!  So rich and good...one of those desserts that you WANT to eat and eat and eat but just can't because it's so rich.  YUM!  And I must say, it makes me feel really special when he make something because he thinks I'd like it.  He's a keeper!  :-)

 


Graham Cracker Crust from Allrecipes
1 1/2 cups cinnamon graham cracker crumbs
1/3 cup melted butter
3 tablespoons sugar

Preheat oven to 350.  In a medium bowl, mix together crumbs, butter, and sugar.  Press into a 9-inch pie pan.  Bake for 10 minutes.  Remove to cool.

Caramel Pie
9-inch pie crust
2 14-oz cans sweetened condensed milk (no WONDER this was so rich!)
1 tub cool whip

Pour the milk into a heat proof bowl that will fit over your boiling pan.  Set over a pan of simmering water.  Cook, stirring occasionally...for about 2 hours, replace water as needed.  Don't run out of water!  When ready, the milk will be golden brown and thick.  Pour caramelized milk into crust and allow to cool.  Top with cool whip...and chocolate chips if desired. 

Enjoy!

2 comments:

B Nettles said...

D must have taken that picture. I recognize the camera angle.

B Nettles said...

I need to update my Google pic.