Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Take Me to a Party!

With Christmas parties coming up, we will all be baraged with lots of unhealthy (but YUMMY!) food.  I'm sure there are plenty of opportunities you will have to take a dish to one of these parties.  Why not take something that is at least half-way beneficial for you.  I took this grape salad to one of our many baby showers this year and everyone really enjoyed it. 

It is creamy and calls for cream cheese and sour cream.  However, you can lighten it up by using light (or even fat free) cream cheese (though I'd stick with light) and using Greek yogurt for the sour cream.  It is sweetened with sugar, though I've seen people use splenda.  After you mix up the creaminess, you simply stir in grapes.  There is an option to top it with brown sugar and nuts, but I just used the pecans.  So, you have a delicious salad (this is frequently used for bridal brunches here in the South) that people will enjoy but it's not too much of a splurge!

Grape Salad
4 cups green grapes
4 cups purple grapes
1 package cream cheese
6oz. container Greek yogurt
1/2 cup (I think I reduced it to 1/3 cup)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup brown sugar (optional)

Pull grapes off of stems and wash.  If you want to, cut grapes in half. However, this is not required.  In a bowl, mix cream cheese, yogurt, sugar, and vanilla together.  Stir this mixture and grapes together.  Put in your serving dish and top with pecans and, if using, brown sugar.

3 comments:

The JR said...

This is good stuff. We luv it in our family.

Sean Grey Hanson said...

Well, actually... It's not really my thing. But since it looks pretty good, then I give it a try!

Vickie said...

This one is on my grocery list!!