Saturday, March 27, 2010

Segments

As a doctor, I become a part of many people's lives.  They become a part of mine.  This time comes in segments.  Some people, I am a part of a very small segment...and only one.  Other people, a larger segment...but only one.  And other people, small segments...but multiple ones.  Some people are a part of multiple segments of my life.  One of my best friends went to school with me, works with me, we hang out at eat others' house, and I am her son's doctor:  MANY segments!

Other people I went to school with, go to church with, and will work with.  Sometimes, however, you have a person who was a part of a large segment of your life but something changes, they don't show up as much.  It's like part of the segment is taken away.  That can sometimes make for a sticky situation.  That's how I felt when I was preparing the oranges for this Daring Baker's challenge...very sticky!  However, learning to segment an orange was one of my favorite parts of this challenge...and orange tian.  I can honestly say I would have NEVER made this dessert if it hadn't been selected for this month's challenge.

The 2010 March Daring Baker’s challenge was hosted by Jennifer of Chocolate Shavings. She chose Orange Tian as the challenge for this month, a dessert based on a recipe from Alain Ducasse’s Cooking School in Paris.  I had kind of mixed thoughts on the final result.  First off, I really like pate sablee.  It's just such a simple and pleasing component, though I overcooked mine so it was a bit too crumbly!  The marmalade was a fun thought.  I was really excited about trying this but when put into the final dessert, I was really distracted by it.  I felt like the chewiness of the orange was just too much for the dessert.  To go through the creaminess of the whipped cream and hit an almost hard orange piece was just not pleasing for me.

The next two problems could have been (were likely) due to mistakes on my part.  First the caramel...I misread the instructions and put the liquid in before cooking the sugar.  This led to the "caramel" being more of a simple syrup!  Oh, well...I still soaked the oranges in it but didn't use it for decoration in the end.  Then the whipped cream...well, I got half and half.  Yeah, that doesn't whip!  :-)  So, I had to go back (post-call!) to the store and get the real thing.  I didn't use the gelatin though...just used some cream of tartar...and it worked just fine!  In the end, I really like the combination of the oranges and whipped cream (did it take anyone else back to summers as a child and eating dreamsicles?) but, sadly, the marmalade ruined it for me.  I served this to some friends who I had over for dinner, and they both enjoyed it but I don't think I'd make this again.

However, I am glad that I now know how to segment oranges and did enjoy trying this tian!  Thanks for the challenge, Jennifer!

11 comments:

Elle said...

Learning how to make orange segments was my favorite part of the challenge, too. Loved the orange and cream flavor combo but if I made it again I would crumble the cookies and make a crumb crust...much easier to eat. Love your way of looking at relationships as segments...lucky the people who are segments with you!

chef_d said...

Oh too bad you didnt like the marmalade, but your tian looks very good. I love what you said about people being segments in other people's lives :)

Jessica said...

Looks delicious! I am not usually a fan of orange desserts but I like the idea of oranges and cream. Although I probably wouldn't be a fan of the marmalade either :)

Baking Addict said...

I would like to add my own little segment to your blog :) The orange plate is cute. A delicious looking tian.

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

Interesting link up of food to life. :)
I guess this is one segment that's going to be a part of your life. A challenge really well done.

Lisa said...

I love how you connected 'segments' with segments of life and love. At first I thought you were going into body part segmenting, as in surgery since you're a doc lol That said..your tian turned out lovely. Beautiful orange supremes. I'm envious since I cannot segment an orange cleanly to save my life!

shelley c. said...

You totally pointed out what I liked about the dessert but couldn't put my finger on - totally reminiscent of orange creamsicles!! Awesome job on the challenge!

Mary said...

I wasn't too sure about the marmalade in this recipe, but it ended up being one of my favourite parts:) Lovely post!

Kel said...

Great job on the challenge, your tian looks delicious. I agree - it does remind me of a creamsicle - and I'm with you on the marmalade - I'm just not a huge fan. But your post was wonderful as was your challenge, great job! :)

The JR said...

It looks good. Yes, it is many segments.....

Jaime said...

sorry you didn't like the marmalade in this...so great of you to pull through w/this challenge even post call :)