Sunday, March 14, 2010

"Fruity not fatty"

That was the response when I asked my fellow intern what treat she wanted for our next call.  Fruity, not fatty.  Hmm...actually, I immediately had a recipe in mind!  I had seen this recipe a week or two earlier on Emily's blog and knew that at some point I wanted to try it.

I haven't made biscotti in quite a while but they are wonderful little treats.  Some versions are very crunchy and do best when enjoyed when eaten with a cup of coffee or tea.  Others are soft enough to eat on their own.  These fall into the later category.  Quite often the softer versions are more of a cookie in ingredient content, having 1/2 cup of butter or oil.  These, however, achieved a soft texture without that amount of oil.  It only has 3 Tablespoons and I may have used less...I don't know...didn't measure!  :-)



When I tasted the dough prior to baking, the rice flour was a bit overwhelming in taste (probably due in part to using BROWN rice flour instead of white rice flour, but it's what I have...and I have decided that I really like rice flour, BTW).  So, I added an extra banana.  Let me tell you, these biscotti were SO good!  Not overwhelmingly banana but you could definitely taste it.  I would totally make these again.  Oh, and if you have cinnamon chips...they go great in these!  Thanks for a fantastic recipe, Emily!

Chocolate Chip Coconut-Banana Biscotti (adapted from Emily at Sugar Plum)
(Gluten-free)


2 cups brown rice flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips and cinnamon chips (a total of 1/2 cup)
2 ripe bananas, mashed
1 large egg
3 tablespoons oil
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a large cookie sheet with cooking spray or get baking stone out.

In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together rice flour, baking powder, salt and sugar until well combined; whisk in coconut and chocolate until combined. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together banana, egg, oil and vanilla until well combined; stir dry ingredients into liquid, until well combined and moistened.

Divide dough and shape into two (7 1/2 x 3–inch) logs on cookie sheet. Bake 25 minutes; transfer logs to wire racks to cool an additional 20 minutes.

Transfer to a cutting board and cut rolls diagonally into 1/2-inch thick slices. Place, cut sides down, on baking sheet. Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees; bake 10 minutes. Turn cookies over; bake an additional 10 minutes (cookies will be slightly soft in center but will harden as they cool). Remove from baking sheet; cool completely on wire racks.

Makes about 2 dozen biscotti (though I'm pretty sure I got about 3 dozen)

4 comments:

The JR said...

Sounds like that fit the bill....

Abby said...

I don't think I've made biscotti since college, but banana and cinnamon chips? I think I might have to try these!

Patty said...

Mmm that biscotti looks great, can't wait to try out the recipe thanks for posting!

Cindy said...

I made some of these, but threw in some crushed walnuts. Yum.