Sunday, March 21, 2010

Please Forgive the Photography!

As said in the title, PLEASE, forgive the photography!  I forgot my camera and had to use one I was not aquainted with.  Do not judge with your eyes...let you tastebuds give it a try!

I made this dish a long time ago and have been waiting to post it, hoping that I'd make it again and could take some better pictures.  However, I have not made it again yet (thought I plan to soon...I have all but the feta available) and it is so good, I feel that I need to share this recipe with you! 

I found the recipe on one of the first sites I ever visited, Sweetnicks.  She has been cooking great dishes for adults and dishes for the kiddos for several years (well, Nick is 7, I think, so gather from that as you may).  Anyway, I made this one day when I went to a friend's house to eat.  She doesn't like shrimp (go figure!) so we made a small dish for her with chicken.  Both versions were delicious!  I served it with roasted zucchini and couscous.  Delicious and healthy!

Baked Shrimp with Tomatoes and Feta
Recipe courtesy of Ellie Krieger
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, diced (about 1-1/2 cups)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced (about 2 teaspoons)
  • 2 (14.5-ounce) cans of no-salt-added diced tomatoes, with their juices  (I think we added extra tomatoes)
  • 1/4 cup finely minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
  • 1 tablespoon finely minced fresh dill (I didn't use this...not a fan of dill)
  • 1-1/4 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 2/3 cup crumbled feta cheese (about 3 ounces)
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.  Heat the oil in an oven proof skillet over a medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes, then add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and let simmer for about 5 minutes, until the tomato juices thicken.
Remove from the heat. Stir in the parsley, dill, and shrimp and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle the feta over the top. Bake until the shrimp are cooked through and cheese melts, about 12 minutes.


4 comments:

The JR said...

She has a lot of great recipes. This one probably falls into that category.

Abby said...

Ellie's getting a lot of notice lately; I think I'll have to give this a try! Brad can't have shrimp so it's good to know I can use chicken.

Cate O'Malley said...

Mmm, love that one. Glad you liked it!

tasteofbeirut said...

I had been meaning to try this dish for years! I think I will real soon thanks to your prodding!