Thursday, September 18, 2008

Yummy Peppers

When I went to Sam's Club a few weeks ago, they had a pack of 6 peppers for a little over $6. That's really good considering the peppers were red, yellow, and orange and ONE of these colors in the store is $2-3. So, I picked up the peppers with good intentions. I ended up making some yummy chicken stuffed peppers with them. I wanted to use couscous as the grain but only had around 1/4 cup. I know...HOW and WHY!? My mom would say it's the "Nettles" in me! Anyway, these were just perfect except for needing more couscous. So, you really could make them with or without. Chicken Stuffed Peppers
6 peppers of any color, stem cut off, seeded, and then cut in half lengthwise
1 zucchini, cubed
1 onion, chopped
1-2 SMALL eggplants, cubed
2 chicken breasts, cubed
goat cheese (this MAKES the dish)
spaghetti sauce
garlic powder
Season Salt
couscous (optional)

Boil a large pot of water. Place prepared peppers in the water and cook for 10 minutes (parboil). In a saute pan, place the cubed chicken. Season with garlic powder and season salt. Cook until done. Remove from pan. Place the zucchini, onion, pepper from around the stem of the peppers, and eggplant in the pan. Season with garlic powder and season salt. Cook until veggies are tender. Add couscous if using and chicken. Stir in desired amount of goat cheese. In a large casserole or 11X8 pan, pour some spaghetti sauce. On top of this, place the peppers. Then fill eat pepper half with filling. Any remaining filling should be places around the peppers.
In a 350 degree oven, cook for 15 minutes. When you serve, scoop the spaghetti sauce on top of the pepper when it's on the plate.

6 comments:

The Cookbook Junkie said...

I passed up a bag of peppers that were on clearance for $1.37 last night - 6 or 7 peppers and every color was in the bag. I usually grab those up but I ended up putting them down. I wasn't sure the baby could handle them. After the last time I ate something with peppers he had some wicked gas.

Darius T. Williams said...

You know...you're right - goat cheese makes any dish - lol.

-DTW
www.everydaycookin.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious! Also, I passed on an excellence award to your blog.

Jane said...

Oh Claire, this looks great!
I made grilled stuffed peppers last week. I'm so far behind on my blog it'll probably be a month before I get it posted!

Anonymous said...

Oh yum, Claire! Those look amazing. It would be hard to pass up peppers at that price!

Elle said...

All these great harvest flavors in one place...but could I substitute feta or jack cheese? Not a big fan of goat cheese.