Saturday, September 13, 2008

A Party for SGCC

I want the ringing in my ear to stop. That is currently the mode of presentation of my ear infection...yes, the doctor caught the bug from the patients. Yesterday, I was in much pain at the time; thankfully, my ear started hurting 10 minutes before I left my shift, so I was able to get a prescription and am feeling much better. Despite that, I am enjoying my ER rotation so far! It's nice to work 12 hour shifts in a way because you get days off, instead of the usual 4 off a month on other rotations!

Enough of me, now on to someone who is celebrating a special day. Susan of Sticky, Gooey, Creamy, Chewy is celebrating her 1st blogiversary and is having a party. She has asked us to bring our favorite party food. Well, what better party food that cookies. This recipe is really the cookie I take most often to parties; however, I figure I'll give you a new one. And when I say new, it's REALLY new. This is an original recipe that I think is pretty good. It's got coffee in it and is pretty strong. However, if you don't care for coffee, you could remove that or just decrease the amount and it would be fine. In fact, get creative and add something different to suit your tastes...and the others at the party! Claire's Coffee Cookies (how's that for alliteration!?)
3/4 cup shortening

1 1/4 cup packed brown sugar

1 egg

1 T vanilla

3 T instant coffee

1 cup ap flour

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar

1/4 teaspoon salt

3 cups quick cooking oats

1/2 cup almonds, toasted then chopped (you can also use pecans if you prefer)

1/2 cup chocolate chips


Preheat oven to 375. Cream shortening and sugar together. Add egg, vanilla, and coffee; and mix well. Stir together flour, soda, tartar, salt, and oats. Stir into creamed sugar mix. Mix in chocolate chips and almonds. Using a small/medium cookie scoop, scoop cookies onto a baking sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until slightly browned. Remove from oven and allow to cook for 3 minutes on pan. Remove to cooling rack and allow to completely cool.

12 comments:

Jane said...

Thanks for the link to the recipe to Mrs. Joanie's Sharpe Cookies. I had wondered if that was on here at all. I will have to take it to the next party that I go to. I love those things!

This recipe looks very good too. I must admit that I am a little leery of coffee in my cookies, but I think I'll give it a try.

Annie said...

Those look really good. Great for breakfast too! No coffee required!

Deanna said...

I will have to make these the next time my girlfriends come over to chat. If I make them when it is just me I will be the only one to eat them and that will be a BAD thing!

Red Dirt Mummy said...

Hope your ear is feeling better soon!

gail@more than a song said...

Mmmm, coffee cookies with chocolate...sounds good!
The muffins look good too.

Dee Dee said...

So glad that you posted the Sharpe cookie recipe - I've always wanted it. They are my FAVORITE! Joanie brought them to VBS this summer, and they were still warm...

I'm all for coffee in anything - can't wait to try those, too. And, great alliteration!

Darius T. Williams said...

The cookies look good...sorry you're having that issue with your ear...that's gotta suck major butt.

-DTW
www.everydaycookin.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Now those are intriguing! I bet Andy would like coffee cookies.

Unknown said...

Jane - Sure! Hope that you enjoy making them. This is not the best coffee cookie I've made. I think I posted about that one in June...it was SO good.

Annie - Yeah...and you don't get as much caffeine that way either.

Deanna - That's the best way to do it...share.

RDM - Thanks...it's still ringing. Hopefully soon it will stop.

Gail - Thanks!

Dee Dee - You need to make the sharpeis soon. Your girls would love them.

Darius - Thanks! I think illness is something I'm going to have to get used to working in pediatrics!

Erika - These are VERY coffee tasting. If he likes coffee, he'd probably like these. Another one that probably the kiddos would even like is posted in June.

Cate said...

Mmm, they look so good and crispy - another one to add to our list. :) Hope you're feeling better!

Jane said...

Mmmmmmm!
These look good!

Peabody said...

They sound good. We love coffee anything here in Seattle. :)