Monday, September 01, 2008

It's a Tradition

I got to go home for an entire week...well, Monday through Friday, and really could have stayed longer but decided to come back for a wedding. I took full advantage of my time off but won't be able to go home (I will see my parents but not at home) until Thanksgiving. When I got there on Monday I saw banana bread bananas waiting for me! Yes, back to the tradition of making some form of banana bread when I go home. I love it and try to find a different recipe each time. This time, Mama wanted muffins. She said that they tend to forget about bread but will eat the muffins. I think she likes them with her coffee mid-morning! :-) So, I went in search of a recipe and found this one at Allrecipes. It was easy to make and gave the perfect amount of batter for 12 muffins. I find that sometimes, there is too much batter for only 12 muffins and other times I struggle to get 12 good sized ones. This time...perfect! Mama and Daddy both had one hot out of the oven and they liked them. Daddy said they were perfect because you could taste the banana but it wasn't too sweet and the texture was soft without being rubbery (that's not his word but I think it's what he meant!). By the time I left, we had eaten all but one! Banana Crumb Muffins - adapted from AllRecipes
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 bananas, mashed
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 4 Tablespoons butter, melted
  • 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 tablespoon butter
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease 10 muffin cups, or line with muffin papers. In a large bowl, mix together 1 1/2 cups flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, beat together bananas, sugar, egg and melted butter. Stir the banana mixture into the flour mixture just until moistened. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups. In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, 2 tablespoons flour and cinnamon. Cut in 1 tablespoon butter until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Sprinkle topping over muffins. bake in preheated oven for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick in the center of muffin comes out clean.

12 comments:

Deanna said...

I love that this has a crumb topping. Yum!

Adam said...

Your banana muffins look great. I like the melted butter and the crumb and everything :)

So you're in medicine, that's really cool. I'm glad you like it.

Thanks for checking out my blog, I really dig yours too. Oh, and your eclairs aren't THAT bad, I would totally take some off your hands :)

Darius T. Williams said...

Yes, Yes, absolutely yes! These look really good.

-DTW
www.everydaycookin.blogspot.com

Pam said...

It's so nice to spend time with family. Your banana muffins look fantastic - I love the melting butter and the crumb topping.

Caitlin said...

those muffins look AMAZING!

Anonymous said...

Those muffins look great. I bet they are good toasted with a little smart balance butter on top!

Anonymous said...

I love a good crumb topping too, and banana anything is definitely a winner.

Your eclairs look really good. We did those a lot in culinary school and let me tell you, they are not an easy-bake item. I love a good savory gougere too...basically the same dough with herbs in it, baked then stuffed with something yummy.

A_and_N said...

Sow great muffins! they look so moist and yummmmmmiiiieeeee :)

Nemesis said...

Yep...making these this week....the picture did me in...lol...

Beth said...

I'm constantly in seach of the best banana bread/muffin recipe because I never ear all of the bananas I buy. I'll give this one a shot. Thanks!

Unknown said...

Deanna - That was one reason I chose this one. I usually don't do crumb toppings but thought it would be fun this time.

Adam - Yep...it's pretty fun!

Darius - Thanks! They toasted up well later.

Pam - I really like my time at home. it just doesn't come often enough!

Caitlin - Thanks!

SNL (HA!) - They were...except we use brummel and Brown! :-)

Kate - Thanks for the comment. The eclairs didn't seem difficult but they didn't cook like they should with the given directions. Oh well.

A and N - This was one of the better recipes I've found.

Nemesis - Ha! Sorry. ;-) Hope you enjoy them.

Beth - I don't usually get a chance to try it at my apartment b/c I can't keep bananas long enough here...my roommate likes eating them too much. Hope you like this recipe.

Joy said...

Yum yum yum - very tasty!