Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Healthy Meal...Even for Picky Kiddos!

I had trouble deciding what to post tonight. I think I shall do something healthful (word ala Rachel Ray!). You see, I'm preparing to start a four night run of 7pm to 7am shifts in the pediatric ER. It will be my first shift back since the end of May. I hope I'm not too rusty. While I was at home last week, we had the new physics professor and his family over for dinner. They have an almost 7-year-old little boy who is deaf and blind in one eye. He is the cutest, most animated little boy I've seen. When I was getting dinner ready, I wondered if he would eat this. Mama said not to worry about it. So, I did a veggie and chicken stir-fry. Apparently, he really liked the way I seasoned everything because he at a good bit of chicken and even some vegetables...of course, it probably helps that he likes really salty stuff (soy sauce, thank you!). I would love to spend more time around him and learn more sign language. That night, I learned "no," "hot," (for the stove) "dirty," (for the fly swatter) and "finished." However, for now, my ER children will have to suffice. Hopefully, the stir-fry that I have here will give me the energy to get through the *aweful* night shift...I usually start struggling around 3am! Chicken Stir Fry ala Claire ]
3 chicken breasts, cut in small pieces
garlic powder
Nature's Seasoning
1 green bell pepper, cut in small strips
1 onion, chopped
1 zucchini, sliced
2-3 yellow squash, sliced
handful of salad tomatoes
water
1 T corn starch
soy sauce
Lite Catalina/Russian dressing
cooking spray

After cutting the chicken, sprinkle garlic powder and Nature's Seasoning (or seasoning of choice) over the pieces. Put the chicken in a large skille,sprayed with cooking spray, and cook until done. Remove from pan. In the same pan, place the onions and peppers. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the zucchini and squash. Season the veggies with Nature's Seasoning (or choice of seasoning). Cook until the veggies are to the tenderness you desire. I like mine a little softer than most...I am from the south! Add the tomatoes. Meanwhile, whisk corn starch into cold water. Add several squirts/shakes of soy sauce. Pour this into the hot vegetable mixture. Stir. Once it thickens, taste and add soy sauce as needed. Return the chicken to the pan. At this point, squirt some Catalina dressing over all of it (I go back a forth over it like a salad). Stir all together. Put in serving dish and serve with rice.

7 comments:

Caitlin said...

im impressed you got a kid to eat that! it looks way too healthy for most kids' tastes!

Darius T. Williams said...

This looks good and super healthy...lol @ that comment - ala Rachel Ray. She's the funniest thing to me.

Good luck w/those 12 hours shifts!

-DTW
www.everydaycookin.blogspot.com

Deanna said...

It looks so yummy. My boys eat anything so I need to make it for them.

Bless you for your shifts in the pediatric ER. We had a trip there not too long ago. Not fun, but we were so glad for wonderful medical staff who took care of us!

Jane said...

Oh, this looks so good.
I want to make this too. I think I want to make just about everything that you put on your blog! :)

I'll pray for your 4 days of 12 hours in the pediatric er to go smoothly!

gail@more than a song said...

I wouldn't have thought of using the catalina, it looks really good!
Ugh on those night shifts! I couldn't do it....are you doing anything in the nicu at umc?

Tammy said...

Hi! I came across your blog during the summer and love it - I read it when I can and just thoroughly enjoy your stories, your recipes and trip to NY with your family! I think it's wonderful that you are becoming a doctor! What an amazing opportunity the Lord has given you! I wish you the very best.

Unknown said...

caitlin - At first he just ate chicken but then he started eating the veggies, too. Amazing.

Darius - Thanks!

Deanna - ER trips aren't fun...they last longer than you want and that doesn't help any with the stress. I hope your boys enjoy it.

Jane - Thanks for the prayers. I got through those nights just fine!

Gail - I think the Catalina makes the dish.

Tammy - Thanks so much! I enjoy putting down my experiences somewhere. Makes everything easier to remember and find.