Friday, October 24, 2014

Gluten Free Waffles (Great to send for school lunches!)

A few weekends ago, I made waffles for Kate's breakfast.  This was quite a feat as she likes to eat first thing.  I think it helped that she came in as I was feeding Caleb and COULDN'T get her food.  So, then, when I was done, I just walked out to the kitchen and started making waffles.  Now she HAD to wait!  I like sending breakfast for her school lunch about once a week to change things up and waffles are great for that (as are muffins, leftover scrambled eggs, boiled eggs....lots of stuff!). 
Anyway, I made her waffles regular but we have used a few recipes of gluten free waffles.  Back in April, I made this recipe (at least I think it was this recipe!) because I wanted to use a combo of flours rather than an all purpose mix.  Sometimes, it's fun to make your own mix.  They turned out well.  I did add in some cinnamon for added flavor.  David liked them and was able to take the left overs to work for "second breakfast."  Yes, I have hobbit feet and he eats like a hobbit.  Ha!

Gluten Free Waffles adapted from Cooking with Alison
1 1/4 cup rice flour (you can use brown rice flour if you want more fiber)
1/2 cup potato starch (this is Not the same thing as potato flour)
1/4 cup tapioca starch
1 1/2 cups buttermilk (or use 1 1/2 cups of milk alternative and 1 tbsp lemon juice)
2 large eggs
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 tbsp honey, maple syrup, or granulated sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon

In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients. Mix with a fork until you have a smooth batter.  Note that the batter will be thinner than most other waffle recipes.  Use cooking spray to lightly grease your waffle maker and heat it as per your waffle maker’s instructions. Spoon batter onto waffle maker and close, cooking per your maker's instructions (mine has a lovely little light that indicates a finished waffled).  Remove and allow waffle iron to reheat before cooking more.  Enjoy!

 

No comments: