Tuesday, October 15, 2013

The Month of Pumpkin

I don't know about you, but come October I love using pumpkin in my cooking!  About two weeks ago I worked in the ER and wanted to take a treat...as I usually do.  Sometimes I try to cook things that I know wouldn't be David's preference because I frequently come home without leftovers.  I also remembered that I had some cinnamon chips in the cabinet that need to be used.  Um...hello!  Pumpkin and cinnamon, the perfect combo!  I was able to find a recipe that ended up being SO SO good. 
The cinnamon flavor was great and the texture of these was just perfect.  Pumpkin cookies can tend to be cakey and dry.  I think it's sometimes a difficult balance to obtain moistness in pumpkin baked goods.  These cookies, however, were so moist and chewy in such a good way.  I could have eaten several...which means it's a good thing I took them to work.  One of my fellow physicians even asked for the recipe.  Always a good sign!  Try these out for your fall parties!


Cinnamon Chip Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies from Sweet Treats More
3/4 c butter, soft
1 c sugar
1/4 c brown sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 c canned pumpkin
1 egg, beaten
1 1/2 c flour
1 3/4 c rolled oats
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 c cinnamon chips
 
Preheat oven to 350.  Beat butter and sugars together until creamy.  Beat in egg, then vanilla and pumpkin.  
Gradually add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, stirring with a wooden spoon.  Stir in cinnamon chips. 
Drop onto baking stones or sheets.  Place in oven and bake for 12-13 minutes.  Let cool for a minute or two then transfer to a cooling rack.  Enjoy!

No comments: