Thursday, September 19, 2013

Burrrrrrrrrrr-ito!

We love Mexican dishes around here...especially David and K.  I think they would eat Mexican daily if I'd let them.  I mean, I like Mexican but three weeks of Sunday Mexican out AND me making Mexican during the week is enough.  I definitely prefer the Mexican at home. 
I found a recipe for Chicken Verde Burritos the other day and thought it sounded really good.  I thought I pinned the recipe but then later I couldn't find it; so, I just made my own!  It turned out REALLY good.  I think I'll likely repeat this in the future.  Despite K's face here...she LOVED this.  Devoured it!
 And you can easily make it vegetarian if you want to.  I actually used a Rotisserie chicken that was on sale at Kroger, which made the dish super quick and easy...perfect for ballet nights!

Chicken Verde Burritos
1 rotisserie chicken (breast meat only)
8 flour tortillas (we used low carbs...K picked them out)
1 jar tomatillo salsa
1.5 cans beans (I ran out with two tortillas to go!)
1 can sliced mushrooms (this was for me)
cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350.  Open one can of beans.  Stir in 1/2 cup of tomatillo salsa.  Pull the breast meat off the chicken. 
Then place the ingredients in each tortilla as follows: chicken, beans, cheese.  (Omit chicken and add mushrooms for vegetarian)
Do this on the side of the tortilla closest to you.  Then wrap the tortilla by folding the tortilla towards the center, then fold the edges in (toward the center), then keep rolling into the closed burrito.  By folding the edges in, that keeps the chicken filling in.  Do this with all the tortillas.  Then pour the remaining tomatillo salsa over all the tortillas and top with more cheese.  Bake for 15-20 minutes or until everything is bubbly.  Enjoy!

No comments: