Friday, March 09, 2012

Fajita Soup

A few weeks back, I got off early and decided to go ahead and make soup for dinner for me and D.  The night before I grilled some chicken on my George Foreman grill.  It worked surprisingly well!  I think it looks like actual grill-grilled chicken, especially when it's cut.  Anyway, I wanted a Mexican flavored soup and had gone in search of a fajita soup. 

I found one that looked good here at Maria's site.  She always has great food and I know I can trust her recipes.  The soup was easy to make and tasted great.  D liked it and brought it to work the next day for lunch....I had my leftovers for dinner on call that weekend.  He did wish there was more chicken and I thought maybe a bit more beans would have been good.  Once again, a great recipe.  Served it with the buttermilk bread I made.  All went well together though you could serve it with cornbread or chips just as easily.  Top with sour cream, salsa, or avacado for some extra yumminess!  (Sorry for the poor quality pictures...I forgot and this is the end of my leftovers.)  Try it out. For a veggie entree, forego the chicken and add another can of beans.

Chicken Fajita Soup from Two Peas and a Pod
2 boneless chicken breasts
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 yellow onion, diced
1 tsp minced garlic
1/2 jalapeño, minced
1 small red bell pepper, cut into strips
1 small orange red bell pepper, cut into strips
1 small yellow bell pepper, cut into strips
2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
1 (15 ounce) black beans, drained and rinsed
2 (15 ounce) cans vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
several squirts key lime juice



Heat a grill or grill pan to medium-high heat...or the one setting on your George Foreman! Season chicken breasts with Season All and put on grill. Grill, turning chicken breasts until cooked through, about about 10 minutes, depending on thickness. Remove chicken from the grill and let cool. When cool enough to handle, cut into thin strips. Set aside.

In a large pot, spray with cooking spray and add the onion and peppers, cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and jalapeño.  Cook until tender, about 5 more minutes. Stir in the diced tomatoes, black beans, and broth. Add the cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, lime juice, and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Let soup simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the chicken strips. Cook for an additional 5 minutes. Serve warm with garnishes, if desired.  Enjoy!

No comments: