Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Cammy's Potatoes

My dad loves baked potatoes, and for years my mom had made them in the microwave.  Now, this does provide a very quick and easy way to make baked potatoes.  However, several years ago we were introduced to a method of baking (yes, really baking!) potatoes that is excellent.  I made these potatoes this weekend at the Lake (which was beautiful!)

with my Sunday School class and everyone really liked them.  Basically, you just season the outside of the potatoes...after thoroughly washing, of course!  Then wrap in foil and bake in the oven until "sqeezable!"  SO good!  You don't even need any toppings...somehow, the seasoning sort of seeps into the inside and flavors the entire potato.  Yummy AND healthy (a great source of potassium!).   

Cammy's Potatoes
baking potatoes
cooking spray
seasoning of your choice (I've used Cavender's and Tony's before)
aluminum foil

Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F.  Scrub potatoes well to remove all dirt. 

Spray each potato with cooking spray. 

Sprinkle seasoning all over the potato. 

Wrap in aluminum foil. 

Bake for 1 hour or until potato gives slightly when squeezed (please, us a potholder so you don't burn you hand!).  Enjoy!

4 comments:

Heather said...

Thanks for sharing this. I've tried making baked potatoes in the oven a few times, but mine never got soft enough, so I've always gone back to the microwave method. I'm going to have to try these!

The JR said...

As hot as it is here in good ol MS, you could just about bake them without that oven.

Thanks,

Katrina said...

Yum! I love a baked potato and not just because I'm from Idaho! ;)
I like doing both ways, sometimes with the foil and sometimes without-so the skin gets crispy!

B Nettles said...

Claire, I haven't done the experiment to verify this, but I believe that it's important to scrub the potatoes in HOT water. That starts the temperature transition, so they cook more thoroughly. Then you MUST poke holes in the skin before spraying, seasoning and wrapping. That helps the seasoning get in and the steam to get out