Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Ice Cream Cake

When I was little the most popular birthday cake to have was the ice cream cake from Dairy Queen!  It had chocolate ice cream on the bottom with this wonderfully thick and sticky chocolate fudge center with little chocolate crispies, all topped by vanilla ice cream....YUM!  The July 2010 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Sunita of Sunita’s world – life and food. Sunita challenged everyone to make an ice-cream filled Swiss roll that’s then used to make a bombe with hot fudge. Her recipe is based on an ice cream cake recipe from Taste of Home.

When I saw that this was the Daring Baker's challenge, I thought about that cake.  Then I remembered how my friend Katie (who JUST got married!) loved that cake.  So, I decided to use the opportunity to make the cake for her bachelorette party.  The problem....I'm on a Q4 call month and do NOT have a lot of time!

My plan to make the ice cream fell through and I had to "cheat" on the challenge and use store bought ice cream.  Sorry!  The next failure was the cake...though I followed instructions, the first cake would NOT cook!  By the time the center was near bakes the outer edge was crispy.  The next cake cooked but left this pretty present after rolling. 

Yeah, did not work so well!  I worked with what I had, though, and put the cake rolls on top (oops, misread the layering instructions!).  This was okay until I had to transport the cake to my friend's house 20 minutes away!  By the time I arrived, the ice cream had softened (unbeknownst to me) and the plate was slightly tilted when I put it in the freezer (again...unbeknownst to me). 

Sooooo, when I pulled it out to serve, it was even uglier than when I started!  All that said, it still tasted great...and I believe that if I had been able to freeze it for longer that chocolate fudge filling would have just like the wonderful Dairy Queen cake! 

Thanks for the challenge Sunita!  Check out the recipe on her blog.

4 comments:

Julie M. said...

The great thing about this recipe is even if it falls apart, it still tastes great. Nice job on your challenge!

Lisa said...

Break apart or not, that is one luscious looking swiss roll bombe! I used store bought ice cream for one of my ice creams..I say..so what? LOL

Top Fuzz said...

Well, as long it tastes good, it's a success! :) Well done!

The JR said...

As they say, it's the taste that counts.