Tuesday, July 20, 2010

A Tale of Two Desserts....in One

I have had this recipe hiding in my photo files for a few month...I couldn't find the recipe I used.  Why?  Because it was on the bag of flour and I threw it away!  So, today, I got some of that flour and now have my recipe.  :-)  A few months ago I decided to make a decadent treat...cookie dough topped brownies.  YUM!  The first time I made them, I overcooked the brownies and the did NOT work.

I actually threw the whole batch away.  But being the dedicated cookie doc that I am, I made another batch...and they were much better.  Notice a difference?

Let me just say, by lunch time, the entire batch was GONE...our lounge devoured them!  In fact, my best friend grabbed one early b/c she figured they'd be gone if she didn't.  She was right!  So, I highly recommend trying these!

Cookie Dough Topped Brownies
Brownie:
12 oz. chocolate chips
1 cup butter/margarine (I used 3/4 cup)
4 eggs (I think I used 3)
2 cups sugar (I reduced by 1/3 cup)
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups self-rising flour

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.  Melt chocolate chips and butter together.  Beat eggs; then beat in sugar, eggs, and butter mixture.  Stir in vanilla.  Slowly add flour.  Pour into greased 13 X 9 pan and bake for 35 minutes or until beginning to pull away from the edge of the pan.  Allow to cool.

Cookie Topping (adapted from Mel's Kitchen Cafe)
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1/2 cup brown Sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
 ~1-2 tablespoons milk (adjust for how thick/thin you want the topping
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips (mini chips would be good for this)

In a small bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in milk and vanilla. Gradually add flour and salt. Stir in chocolate chips.

Once the brownies are cooled, spread the cookie dough topping over the brownies.  Cut into squares. Store in the refrigerator.

2 comments:

Abby said...

Truly, truly decadent. Lucky co-workers!

The JR said...

Yes, your co-workers are very lucky.

All of our dessert bringers have retired......