Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Ole!

With the cold weather apparently here to stay...well, except for the random 70 degree day expected tomorrow...soup is the perfect food to satisfy hungry tummies. Well, at least in my opinion! During the winter, I think I could honestly eat soup everyday! The week before Thanksgiving, I decided to make some taco soup. It's a good think that I like this soup, because, even with my roommate helping me eat it, I ate it EVERYDAY that week! I changed just a few things from our original recipe. I didn't get any dry Ranch dressing mix at the store, so I just left that out. I also decided to add a cubed green bell pepper. This really added to the flavor. Finally, in an attempt to make it a little more healthful (ala Rachel Ray), I used ground turkey instead of ground beef. Mmmm...this was SO good! It would have been even better with some cornbread, but I didn't take the time to make any! So, pull out your stock pot and make a hot bowl of taco soup!
Taco Soup
3 cans pinto beans (I actually used 1 pinto, 1 canellini, and 1 kidney...a little variety never hurt anyone!)
2 cans rotel (or one large (14 oz) can chopped tomatoes)
1 chopped bell pepper
1 chopped onion
1 lb ground turkey
1 can corn
1 pack of taco seasoning
2 cups water
1 can green chiles
In a large stock pot, brown turkey along with onion and bell pepper. When cooked, add the remaining ingredients (all undrained). Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes. Ladle into soup bowls and top with desired taco toppings. I like sour cream (or Greek yogurt...it's JUST like sour cream), cheddar cheese, and lettuce. Serve with tortilla chips, fritos, or cornbread.

11 comments:

Katrina said...

Yu--um! Love a taco soup! Looks and sounds great.

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

Yum, I love taco soup! I keep Ranch dressing on hand just for it this time of year, but I'm a horrible person and leave out the chilies/peppers. I don't like them so everyone else has to suffer! We actually like ours with Fritos, we are definitely not gourmet :)

I'm with you, I could eat soup most days this time of year, but alas, I like with a meat and potatoes guy who thinks soup is just a start to the meal!

Hope all is well and you're having a great week :)

Annie said...

I feel warmed up already! Sounds yummy!

Unknown said...

Katrina - Thanks...it's good for lots of people, too!

Stacy - My dad would have fritos, too! I am having a pretty good week. I'm off this month, so it's low key...have another interview on Friday in Little Rock.

Annie - Thanks! Glad I could warm you up! :-)

Pearl said...

soup always makes everyone feel better :)

Maris said...

This looks really good! I've never made taco soup before but it sounds really good!

Jennifer said...

I make a similar soup but put in grilled chicken (I have this weird ground meat phobia) and I like to add a minced chipotle chili and some cilantro. So good. I also vary it up and add anything else I have on hand, like canned/frozen corn kernels, diced/sauteed bell pepper and black beans.

Lynne Daley said...

Oh, boy, do I love the looks of your taco soup. Great soup weather, too.

Erika W. said...

OOoh, that looks warm and comforting! It's just 5 degrees out this morning, soup may be on the lunch menu today!

Unknown said...

Pearl - There's just something about it, isn't there? I just made some more (a different type) tonight!

Maris - You should try it! I could easily be made veggie if you like...just leave out the beef/turkey or even add those crumble thingies. I'd think that would work.

Jennifer - Mmmm...that sounds delicious! I might have to try that out later this season!

Lynnylu - Thanks! Soup is perfect this time of year.

Erika - Oh, I do hope you try it! The spice in it even adds more warmth!!!

gail@more than a song said...

Soup is one of my favorite things ever and I can eat it year round! I love, love taco soup!
I see you commented a/b an interview in Little Rock....gonna move out of state?