Saturday, December 06, 2008

Ooey, Gooey, Sticky!

Well, I've done 3 interviews, one more to go. That's really not all that many. Lots of the people that I've been interviewing with are doing between 10-15 interviews. I am so thankful that I'm not doing that many. My next one is in Louisville, KY. THEN, I'll be ready for Christmas and home for a bit before my medicine rotation, that last major one of my school career.

Anyway, a few weeks ago, we had a Pediatric Interest Group meeting. I was asked to bring a dessert to add to the lunch. I wanted to do something different and went in search of something with caramel! I found several but decided on this swirled blondie from Kraft. When I put it in the oven, it had a wonderful swirled look to it; however, when I took it out of the oven all the lovely swirls were gone! Boo! I don't know why it melded together but it did. Despite not looking swirled it tasted great. Along the edges, some of the caramel got hard and tasted like those graham cracker toffee things that people make at Christmas. I'd make this again and recommend that you try it...especially if you're looking for something ooey gooey! If you want to try another recipe with caramel, Anna posted one today; it's a traditional chocolate brownie instead of a blondie with chocolate inside.

Swirled Caramel Blondies
1-1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, melted
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
1 cup chopped PLANTERS Walnuts (optional)
2 squares BAKER'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate, chopped
1-1/2 cups flour
2 tsp. CALUMET Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 pkg. (14 oz.) KRAFT Caramels
1/4 cup milk
Make It


PREHEAT oven to 350°F. Line 13x9-inch baking pan with foil, with ends of foil extending over sides of pan. Lightly grease foil. Mix brown sugar, butter, eggs, vanilla, walnuts and chocolate in large bowl until well blended; set aside. Combine flour, baking powder and salt. Add to brown sugar mixture; mix well. Reserve 1 cup of the batter for later use; spread remaining batter into prepared pan.

BAKE 15 min. or until firm. Microwave caramels and milk in microwaveable bowl on HIGH 2-1/2 to 3 min. or until caramels are completely melted, stirring every min. Pour over baked layer in pan; spread to within 1/2 inch of edges.

SPOON reserved 1 cup batter over caramel layer; cut through batter with knife several times for marble effect. Bake an additional 15 to 18 min. or until center is set. Cool in pan on wire rack. Lift dessert from pan, using foil handles; remove foil. Cut into 24 bars to serve.

7 comments:

Jess said...

Those blondies look SO good, especially the pre-baked ones! I'm not sure why they all blended together in the oven, but the finished product looks great too! That cake dome is possibly the ugliest color combo of tupperware I've ever seen, but it does the job! Are you interviewing for residency? I'm a 4th year too, interviewing for ophthalmology!

Jessica said...

I think you have me mixed up with the other Jess - lol. You left me a comment in response to the one from her. Funny though, I am a nurse and my husband is a doctor. Sometimes it seems like you run into another medical person every time you turn around! Your blondies look delicious!

Katrina said...

Those sure do look ooey gooey! Yum-o!

Darius T. Williams said...

OMG - this looks ooey and delicious!

-DTW
www.everydaycookin.blogspot.com

Tina said...

Oh my, heaven! Looks amazing!

Unknown said...

Jess - Doing the job is the goal, right? :-) Yep, interviewing in peds. how goes the Ophto trail!?

Jessica - Ooops! Hey, at least you half way understood what I was talking about b/c of your medical background and hubby! Thanks...they were pretty good.

Katrina - I was glad that I made them for a group thing...they needed to be OUT of my house!

Darius - Oh...they are!

Tina - Amazing they are...they didn't stay in my house, though...that would be BAD!

Peabody said...

Oh my, don't those look so sinful. YUM! Send some my way.