Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Gingerbread Biscotti

And the last of the Christmas Tin cookies! This was a last minute decision because of the failure of my mint thumbprints and the pumpkin fudge. I saw the recipe for these gingerbread biscotti at Picky Palate. I thought they looked pretty good...but almost ruined them because of my lack of a kitchen timer...don't worry, I bought one at Wal-mart the other day! Anyway, instead of being baked twice, I just baked them for the entire time at once...totally by accident! However, they still turned out the texture of properly baked biscotti! I even got a couple of nice compliments. My mom's best friend said they tasted like the kind you buy and my aunt said they were better than Starbuck's! So, I'd say this recipe is a keeper. Gingerbread Biscotti from Picky Palate

1 1/4 cups flour
1 Cup whole wheat flour
1-1/4 cups packed dark brown sugar
1-1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
1 bag of white chocolate chips (Picky Palate used cinnamon chips)
1/4 cup molasses
2 large eggs

2 Cups chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place flours, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, baking soda pecans and cinnamon chips in the bowl of a stand mixer. In a medium bowl, mix eggs with molasses. Pour in egg mixture to dry ingredients until well combined. Divide dough into 2 equal parts and form into 10 inch logs 4 inches apart onto a parchment or silpat lined baking sheet. Each log should be about 2 inches wide. Bake for about 30 minutes and let cool for 10 minutes. Cut each log into ½ inch pieces on the diagonal. Place back onto the baking sheet and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until nice and crispy. Remove and let cool completely. OR if you mess up and cook it for around 45 minutes in one sitting by accident, just cut the pieces and let cool! Don't cook any more!

Place chocolate chips into a double broiler over boiling water. Melt until smooth or follow package direction for microwave melting...I usually do it in 30 second intervals, stirring after each one. Dip the top half of each biscotti into melted chocolate and place onto wax paper to dry.

3 comments:

Jane said...

Mmmm...these look good!
Do you know that I've never had biscotti? I'll have to get it sometime, this looks great.
I'm revealing some of my backwardness here, but one of my deepest darkest secrets (lol)is that up until this last year, I had never been to Starbuck's! >gasp< LOL
And even then, we didn't go in, we went through the drive-up. I was so intimidated by the menu board that I just ordered a small decaf. LOL It was good, but expensive. LOL

Peabody said...

These sound so good. I've never had gingerbread biscotti but it sounds like a keeper.

Unknown said...

Jane - You should! It's so good and actually to as bad for you as cookies...if YOU make it, that is! I'm pretty sure starbuck's version is bad. As to starbuck's...I rarely go, but when I do I just get brewed coffee, nothing special!

Peabody - It's pretty good. I bet you could come up with something to make it over the top!