Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Cinni-Mini

I am loving the Olympics. I wish this happened every year! So exciting! My favorite event is the gymnastics. I was completely shocked when Alicia Sacramone fell on balance beam and then again on floor. However, the deficit from uneven bars just due to the Chinese difficulty was already so large, who knows if perfect routines would have changed the overall results. I'm still excited that they won silver (picture from NBCOlympics.com). The gymnastics program here has gone from not winning medals to always being on the stand somewhere. Now I'm looking forward to the all-around. Maybe we'll have a 1-2 finish? Could be fun...pending results, I have a recipe to give after that even. But today, in honor of the little pixies, I have a fun breakfast dish. It's a quick way to make cinnamon rolls with a big of a different feel. They're called cinni-minis and they are GREAT! CINNI-MINIS
2 cans of crescent rolls
6 T butter/margarine, softened
1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
1 T cinnamon
1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup chopped pecans, optional
confectioner's sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Mix together the softened butter, sugars, cinnamon, and nuts. Open crescent roll pack. Pull out one rectangle of rolls (there will be four of these per pack of rolls) and press together the perforated seam. Spread 1/8 of butter mixture over the rectangle. Roll up pastry style down the long edge. Cut with a serrated knife; you should get between 6 and 8 rolls per rectangle. Place rolls in a greased, round cake pan. Repeat with remaining crescent dough. When pan is full, place in oven and bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden. Remove pan from oven and allow to cool. Meanwhile, put confectioner's sugar in a bowl and add enough water (or milk) to make a medium-thick icing. When rolls have cooled, pour icing over the rolls. Enjoy!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Saw your "olympic" post.....I love the Olympics.....

Coincidentally, here's what I posted last night:

http://themerlinmenu.blogspot.com/2008/08/beijing-olympics.html

Check out my blog when you can. I'm a newby but love to have visitors and comments.

Ron

http://themerlinmenu.blogspot.com

Peabody said...

Those are so cute! I am afraid that mini ones would make me just eat more of them. :P

Unknown said...

Ron - Thanks for stopping by. I think that Phelps is pretty amazing, too. I couldn't swim even one race that he's doing! I'll check you out for sure.

Peabody - There are very tempting!

Jennifer said...

OH, those look delicious, and so easy! I'll have to make them this weekend for my kids. They love crescent rolls and I have used them for off-label purposes (ha ha) such as the crust for quiche, and to make "home-made" hot pockets, but I had never thought of cinnamon rolls before...

gail@more than a song said...

Oh cinni-minis are a HUGE favorite at our house! I've been making them for years, the kids absolutely love them....have had to adapt them though because we aren't supposed to have much butter but they are usually good no matter what I do!

Anonymous said...

These look like they would be such a simple breakfast treat!
We are loving the Olympics too. Such great stuff to watch and get you motivated to do more!

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

I love cinni-minnis but haven't made them in a while. I usually make them in Nov or December, around a holiday. Guess I need to remedy that and make them sooner, yours look SO GOOD in the photos!!!

Anonymous said...

I wish that the recipe 4 cresent rolls was on here 2.

Anonymous said...

I wish the recipe 4 cresents was there 2.

Unknown said...

Anonymous - There is no recipe that I use for the crescent rolls. I buy them in the refrigerated section of the grocery store...either Pillsbury or your store brand.