Thursday, June 21, 2007

Nuts...just nuts!

Well, I was on call last night, so I got to the hospital at 7 on Wednesday morning and left today at 1:30 this afternoon. It really wasn't so bad. I think I probably got to sleep around 5 hours. We had two trauma pages, which was pretty exciting. Unfortunately, one did not end well. The department provides us with on call rooms...however, the girls' room is right by a frequently used metal door. This makes it noisy. I got used to it eventually, but it was annoying at first. Anyway, I guess the idea of just being involved in something emergent is exciting. When a trauma comes in all the pagers go off at once and we all go down to the ER. I think the lack of sleep makes me a little nuts, shall we say! At 11 o'clock my pager goes off. I put my glasses, shoes, and pagers on and start walking down to the ER. I can't find the new page but keep going. No one is down there. Then I decide to look at my personal pager...Ah HA! My mom had paged the number 3...I love you! Made me smile AND laugh at myself. How does this have to do with food? Well, it really doesn't except that I made some cookies this weekend with nuts in them! They are my mom's aunt's recipe and I LOVE them! They are an ice box cookie and end up a lot like pecan sandies. Try them out some time. You could even make the dough and keep it in the freezer to bake a few whenever you want...like if you're up all night on call and need a snack! ;-) OH...I did a test between my baking stones and a pan with my new silpat!!! The silpat is great for giving a smooth bottom on the cookies. The textures of both cookies were the same, though I think the stone needed a little longer than I gave it. Either with work! Enjoy the cookies! Aunt Imogene's Ice Box Nut Cookies
1 cup sugar
1 egg
2 cups flour
1/3 cup pecans, chopped
1 stick butter or margarine (for crispier cookies use butter)
1 teaspoon soda
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Cream butter and sugar together. Add well-beaten egg and chopped nuts. Sift flour and soda. Mix with other ingredients well. Shape into a roll about 3 inches in diameter. Roll in waxed paper and chill in refrigerator for at least one hour. Freeze for later if desired. Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are some yummy looking cookies.

Sounds like you're into the swing of things at the hospital. You'll just have to learn to catch your rest when you can.

Peabody said...

I love ice box cookies. They are great to have in the freezer and take

Peabody said...

darn it I didn't finish.

out when unexpected guest arrive.

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

Love the segway into the cookies with nuts post, cute! :)

Those look really good, I'm going to copy that one off. Yummy!

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

How do you have time to get it all done?
Wonder woman!
or Nutty Woman??