Saturday, March 17, 2007

The Story of a Sandwich

It was a sunny Saturday on Hannah Drive. The little brown-haired, hazel-eyed girl ran around the yard. Suddenly, she darted for the tree just outside the front door. It was a perfect tree for climbing...and for escaping. She must escape the goblins, they were out to get her! Then came a sweet voice, "Claire, lunch time." The little girl skipped inside. Her Mama then asked her, "What do you want for lunch?" Hmm...for some people this would be a hard question (and would be hard for her now!) but at that time, it was easy...an open faced heart peanut butter and jelly sandwich! This was the perfect Saturday lunch...it showed a Mama's love, tasted yummy, prepared her for the afternoon ahead, and chased away those goblins!
I don't know where my mom came up with the idea for this sandwich, but it soon became one of my favorites. Just having a heard on my sandwich made me feel special! This is not one of my standard lunches, but a couple of weeks ago when I was studying for tests, it made me feel good! I have many memories in the kitchen, but this is perfect for Kitchen Wench's nostalgia event. Just a simple sandwich, but it always makes us smile when I remind Mama of it!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww... how sweet!

Red Dirt Mummy said...

Cute! When I make polony (um, bologna maybe?)sandwiches for #1's lunch I always do a 'picture' in sauce (like your ketchup but not quite) - he usually requests a heart but sometimes we do a smiley face instead LOL.

Anonymous said...

So sweet! PB&J's always remind me of my best friend's mom... such memories.

Annie said...

That's so sweet.

Moms always think of great ways to make us feel special! It's their job.

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

Aww, that is so sweet! Love that picture too, you could do food photography as a side business, girl :)

Anonymous said...

What an adorable post :) Thank you so much for sharing this beautiful memory for the Nostalgia event :)

Unknown said...

Alisha - I love my mom!

RDM - Yep, bologna! I loved those when I was little...always cold, never "fried."

Kristen - Funny how food give such memories.

Annie - They sure do...I hope I'm a mom like that one day.

Stacy - Well, thanks! I'm trying to improve, but sometimes I just don't have the time or resources to make it look like I really want it to.

Ellie- Thanks! It was fun.

Deborah Dowd said...

Claire- My husband, to this day (and he is now 50-something) talks about how his mom always made his oatmeal with a "heart" of sugar in the middle. She put half the serving in, a spoonful of sugar in the middle, and then top with more oatmeal and a sprinkle of sugar(back in those days we weren't so sensitive to sugar). That way as he got to the middle of the bowl there would be that sweet surprise! A reminder that the most important ingredient for great food is love!