Saturday, July 14, 2012

Slip and Slide and Rolo Bars

At the end of June, one of my fellow residents (now not!  Boo and Yay!) had some of us over for a slip and slide party.  He makes a HUGE slip and slide and we just have fun.  He also grills burgers.  I took a dessert, of course,  and a salad.  I decided to try a new recipe that I saw on Peabody's blog.  She always has great desserts, so I knew this would be a hit. 
I couldn't find the mini rolos (which I just saw the other day...sigh!) so I just got regular sized rolos and cut them in half.  I think I cooked the base a little too much and it didn't quite "hold" together...the bottom kept coming off like a granola bar...a good granola bar, mind you!!!
 Everyone at the party liked them.  I sent the left overs with D to his parents house when we took K for Vacation Bible School.  They enjoyed them as well.  Strangely enough, the other day, D said something about never having eaten a rolo....um, yes, yes you have!
 He admitted that he guesses he did since he had eaten one of these bars.  :-)  Try these out...they're great for a grilling get together or pot luck.

Rolo Bars adapted from Culinary Concoctions by Peabody

2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup packed light brown sugar
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 package mini Rolos or regular sized cut in half or quarters

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9-by-13- inch baking pan with cooking spray.
Stir together oats, flour, brown sugar, baking soda, and the salt in a large bowl. Blend in butter with a fork or your fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal; press half of mixture onto bottom of lined pan.
Bake until just set and starting to color around edges, about 20 minutes. Let cool in pan on a wire rack 5 minutes.
Sprinkle crust with chocolate chips, caramel bits, and mini Rolos.
Top with remaining crumb mixture.
Bake until pale golden, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool completely in pan before cutting into squares.

No comments: