Sunday, February 19, 2012

Taco Salad - How you Like it

Here's another "satisfy everyone" meal.  One of D's favorites is tacos...or taco "salad."  My version of salad and his version, however, are quite different!  In my version, the base is lettuce...green stuff.  His version...chips! (This would be my dad's and brother's version as well!) 

I made basic taco meat with beef and taco seasoning.  Then I also heated up some beans and seasoned them with cumin and seasoning salt.  Then you just top it with whatever you want.  I put some avacado, tomato, sauteed pepper and onions, beans, and salsa on mine. 

D had meat, cheese, peppers, and...a few pieces of lettuce!  K ate beans, meat, and lettuce.  She tried some avacado but wasn't a fan.  We can keep trying...it took me years before I realized I liked it!  I was just excited that she tried...big deal for a two year old!

Taco Salad for All
1 pound ground beef (85/15)
1 pack taco seasoning
1/2 yellow, red, and orange bell peppers - sliced
1 onion - sliced
1 can beans, your favorite variety
cumin
seasoning salt
lettuce
tomatoes
sour cream/yogurt
salsa
avacado
cheese
chips

Brown beef.  Add taco seasoning as instructed on package.  At the same time, saute the peppers and onions; add some cumin for a bit of seasoning.  After the peppers are done, remove and place the drained beans in the pan.  Season with cumin and seasoning salt to taste.  Cook until warm.  When all this is ready - make your salad!  Start with lettuce or chips - depending on which type salad you want and build from there.  Above all, enjoy your dinner and company!

1 comment:

Erica said...

I'm hoping that feeding it to Kay now will make her like it too! Who doesn't like taco meat? So good!