Sunday, November 07, 2010

Fiesta for my Tongue

A few weeks ago, one friend who just had a baby was home alone.  Her husband was out of town taking one of the wonderful required tests that all medical students have to take (and pay for!).  This test is only offerred in one of five cities in the US.  Anyway, she was alone with her five week only who had recently decided that sleeping was for the birds.  So before Matt left, I told him I'd check on Kalyn and help her out a bit. So, after I returned from my five year college reunion (CRAZY) I called her to see if she wanted supper and a hand with little man.  She, of course, did!  So, I came home and made a yummy Mexican soup.
  I had planned on putting shredded chicken in it, but my chicken was spoiled...that's where the funny smell in my refrigerator was coming from.  Oops!  Anyway, it turned out great despite the lack of meat.  The only thing I'd do next time would be to decrease the barley and increase some of the veggies.  Otherwise, Delicioso! 

Mexican Bean Soup
1 onion
1 green pepper
1 teaspoon garlic
1 cup uncooked barley prepared by package instructions
4 cups (though I'd probably use closer to 6 cups next time) stock (chicken or veggie)
2 cans black beans
1 can corn
1 can tomatoes with chiles (I'd use more next time!  2 even 3 cans)
cumin
garlic powder

Cook barley as instructed on the package.  In stock pot, saute onion, pepper, and garlic.  Season with cumin and garlic powder.  When onions are clear add barley, beans, corn, and tomatoes.  Add enough stock to make it the desired consistency and allow to simmer for 20 minutes.  Taste and reseason as needed.  Top with salsa, cheese, sour cream/Greek yogurt as desired.  I served with a slaw salad.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

Maryanna said...

Mmmm. I've never prepared barley before. I'll have to try this delicious sounding soup soon. I love cooler weather because it means I get to try new soup recipes. :)
P.S. Thank you for sharing your sweet story about your grandparents.

The JR said...

I'm sure your friend was very appreciative.