Thursday, April 02, 2009

Sweet Layers

Three years ago, I went with my mom and her best friend to see Paula Deen cook...well, I didn't exactly get to see her cook! Sure, I saw her but Paula is quite the Chatty Kathy. She gabbed the whole time, so when I heard that she was coming to town again, I didn't really get so excited. However, Paula DOES have some yummy recipes - even if she DOES use way too much butter. I mean, really, who puts a tablespoon of butter inside their hamburger? PAULA! A few weeks ago when my friend came over, she wanted something chocolate for dessert. Well, I remembered a DELICIOUS dessert that I had tasted around Christmas time. It was Paula's Pumpkin Gooey Butter cakes...oh, my! These are SOOOO good! At the bottom of the page, there is a version for a chocolate one. Well, I suggested that and she agreed. My only mistake was thinking that the cake base was a yellow cake instead of chocolate. This was still delicious and you can make it more or less chocoaltey based on your desires. You do have to be careful not to overbake these. When your timer goes off...just take it out...it will continue to cook as it cools. Go ahead, take a bite! Chocolate Gooey Butter Cakes
Cake: 1 stick melted butter
1 (18.25-ounce) package yellow cake mix
1 egg

Filling: 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened (I used 1/3 less fat)
2 eggs
3 to 4 tablespoons cocoa powder (I used 3)
1 (16-ounce) box powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 stick melted butter
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 13 by 9-inch baking pan. In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, 1 egg, and 1 stick melted butter, and stir until well blended. Pat mixture into prepared pan and set aside.

In a stand mixer, or with a hand mixer, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the remaining 2 eggs, and the cocoa powder. Lower the speed of the mixer, and add the powdered sugar. Continue beating until ingredients are well mixed. Slowly add the remaining 1 stick of melted butter, and the vanilla, continuing to beat the mixture until smooth. Stir in nuts with a rubber spatula. Spread filling over cake mixture in pan. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes. Be careful not to overcook the cake; the center should still be a little gooey when finished baking. Let cake partially cool on a wire rack before cutting into pieces.

6 comments:

Pearl said...

i actually like color contrast between the yellow cake and the chocolate on top!

In Definition said...

i wish you were my neighbor.

April said...

I love these gooey cakes! Yours look yummy!!

Jane said...

This looks so GOOD!

Anonymous said...

i've made these before! they are ridiculously easy and OUTRAGEOUSLY delicious. I found I had to cut back on the sugar a bit, though.

Unknown said...

Pearl - Thanks! That is a plus of my mess up.

Laura - That would be fun!

April - :-) Thanks

Jane - Thanks...and such a variety of options.

BurpandSlap - Yeah, you probably could cut down on the sugar. I like to try the recipes as written first.