Thursday, April 16, 2009

Peanut Butter Reese's Cookies

Through my four years in med school, I've been involved in a group called the Pediatric Interest Group or PIG. Every year we have a fundraiser so that we can have lunch at our meetings and provide fun things for the kids in the hospital at holiday times. In the years past, we have had a PIG roast with bar-b-que, etc. This year, the president decided to have it at a local pizza place. I think it was a good idea because it drew more people. She also decided to add a bake sale to the fundraiser. It lasted for a week and a half; and, as you can imagine, I did a lot of baking at that point...one reason I missed last month's Daring Bakers' challenge. Most of the things I made were oldies that I knew would please like Sharpeis, Magic Cookie Bars, and Three Great Taste Blondies (made as the original recipe calls for). However, I wanted to make a big cookie that was bake sale material. So...I went in search on Cookie Madness. These are the cookies I found. They were perfect and sold out quickly. The peanut butter makes the cookies moist and the peanut butter cup adds just the right amount of chocolate! Yum!

Peanut Butter Reese's Cookies adapted from Cookie Madness

4 tablespoons unsalted butter (room temperature)
4 tablespoons shortening
1/4 cup chunky or smooth peanut butter (chunky)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/2 scant teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons warm water
1 1/2 cups sifted flour (about 6 oz)
8 Reese’s peanut butter cups (the larger flat type)

Don’t preheat oven quite yet.

Cream butter, shortening and peanut butter together in a mixing bowl; Beat in granulated and light brown sugar, salt and vanilla. Beat in egg. Dissolve baking soda in warm water. Add to butter-sugar mixture and stir well. Stir in flour. Mix until dough is smooth. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour or until dough is firm enough to be workable.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Roll dough by hand into golf ball size balls. It helps to wet your hands while doing this...the dough won't stick by doing that; it also makes the dough move easier. Working one ball at a time, split ball in half, place a Reese’s in between halves and mold dough around candy to make a neat mound. Arrange on ungreased cookie sheets, leaving 1 to 2 inches between cookies. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Let cookies stand 10 minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely. Store in a tightly covered container.

Makes about 10 big cookies

8 comments:

JC said...

These look fantastic. I'm going to have to make them.

Unknown said...

JC - Thanks! I hope you like them. Pretty much any cookie from Cookie Madness is wonderful.

Pearl said...

what a sweet cookie for a nice fundraiser!

Katrina said...

Mmmmm! They look awesome. I'd have to agree, there is no better place to hunt for cookie recipes than on Anna's blog!

Maria said...

I am always up for a cookie! YUM!

Jill said...

yummy! Hey, send me your email address so I can add you to my blog privacy. I changed my settings.

Cate O'Malley said...

Oh man, those look so good!

Jaime and Jen DISH said...

OMG, this looks AMAZING!! Delish, me want some NOW!

Nice to meet you!

Your foodie friend,

Jenifer

J&J DISH