Monday, July 30, 2007

Viva Italia!

My mom brought me some tomatoes from their "garden" when she was visiting. Some of them were DELICIOUS cherry tomatoes, which I am finishing tomorrow on a BLT salad I'm taking to work for lunch. Some of the regular tomatoes, sorry don't know the variety, I have just eaten plain, but I wanted to try a recipe from Cooking Light. It is a tomato and parmesan strata that sounded delicious and had the beautiful colors of the Italian flag!I made this last week and thought I'd have it to myself because the roomie doesn't like tomatoes. Well, apparently, in this form, they are okay because I only had a taste and a half!!! I'm going to make some more this week and play around with the flavors. I thought that it was a good dish but wished that it had been less layered. There was a clear separation between the spinach, onion, and tomato and the bread. I'd also add a little more salt and herbs. Overall, though, this was great! And to top it off, it's good for you with LOTS of antioxidants! Thus, this is my entry to sweetnick's ARF Tuesday. Check out her site for more great recipes...and to wish her a Happy Birthday!!!! Tomato and Parmesan Strata
2 slices whole wheat bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cups baby spinach leaves
1 garlic clove
1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
3 large egg whites
1 large egg
1 cup chopped seeded tomato (about 2 medium)
2 tablespoons grated fresh Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Place bread in bottom of 1 1/2 quart baking dish. Heat skillet over medium-high heat. Spray with cooking spray. Add onion to pan and saute for 3 minutes or until tender. Add spinach and garlic, cooking 2 minutes or until spinach wilts. Remove from heat.

Combine thyme, salt, black pepper, egg whites, and egg in medium bol; stir ith whisk. Stir in spinach mixture and tomato. Pour egg mixture over bread ubes and top with cheese. Bake for 20 minutes or until set. Let stand for 5 minutes.

Servings: 2, 2 cup servings
Calories 186, fat 5.9 g, protein 16.9 g, fiber 5.3 g

6 comments:

Kristin said...

wow,
this looks awesome! i'm definitely going to try it.

thanks,

kazari

Anonymous said...

That looks so great -- and good for you! I'll have to try it soon.

Linda said...

This looks wonderful. Since I have an abudance of fresh tomatoes from my yard, this might be a good use for them. I have some very beautiful purple (which really are a sort of burgandy with some dark green mixed in) and yellow tomatoes that would look beautiful in this. The more color the better, I say.

Unknown said...

Kazari - Great! I hope you like it.

Alisha - It is good and the bread with egg mixture adds a taste that is really satisfying.

Linda - If you end up making it with all those colors, be sure and take a picture! I'd love to see it.

Anonymous said...

What a delicious dish!

gail@more than a song said...

That looks SO good!