Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Peachy Keen!

This weekend was my last totally free weekend for about six weeks and my parents were here! Perfect timing! Philip had a friend get married and Mama took that as a chance to come down here and visit. We had a good weekend. We tried a new Mediterranean restaurant and then went to the local Greek restaurant for gyros. My dad says he won't get one anywhere else! It was all VERY good. SUnday, we had lunch with our friends Joanie and Bruce. I was responsible for dessert and wanted to do something new. I had a bunch of peaches from the farmers market and thought those would be good to use. After much searching I remembered by Dorie Greenspan book, Baking from My Home to Yours. She had a cranberry upsidedown cake and she gave a summer suggestion for peaches. The cake is not a normal plain cake, as noted by my dad. It has cinnamon in it, which really is noticable. I thought the cake was great. Nice and moist...and ARF friendly with the peaches and pecans. SO, this is my entry for Sweetnick's ARF-Tuesday. Stop by and see all the other great recipes. Peach Upside-Down Cake adapted from Baking from My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan
1 cup AP flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon (I used a little bit more)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 sticks (14 T) unsalted butter, room temp (I actually used 3/4 stick margarine and 1 stick butter)
1 cup minus 2 T sugar
1/4 cup chopped pecans
3 peeled, pitted, and sliced peaches
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/3 cup milk Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Whisk together flour, powder, cinnamon, and salt.
Melt 6 T (3/4 stick) butter in small saucepan. Stir in 6 Tablespoons of sugar. Continue to cook and stir until boiling. Remove from heat and pour evenly in a 8X2 round cake pan. Sprinkle the nuts in the butter and arrange the peaches on top in a ring-like fashion.
Using a mixer, beat the stick of butter until smooth. Add the 1/2 cup sugar and continue to beat until pale (around 3 minutes). Add the eggs on at a time and beat for 1 minute after each addition. Pour in vanilla. Reduce speed to low and add half of the dry ingredients. Mix in milk then add the rest of the dry ingredients.
Spoon the batter over the peaches and smooth with a spatula. Bake for 40-45 minutes. Let this set for 30 minutes before flipping out so that juices settle in the cake. I actually left mine in the pan overnight, until lunchtime and it was great! We served it with cool-whip but it would be good alone, with ice cream, or with a glaze from jam.

7 comments:

gail@more than a song said...

I'm glad you had a fun weekend with your family Claire! Yum, gyros...did y'all go to Keifer's?

Your peach upside down cake looks so good, and your pics are beautiful as always!

Anonymous said...

The peach upside down cake sounds really yummy...have the peaches at the farmer's market been good? I'm anxious to check out the market next time I'm in town; I hope it's doing well.

Congratulations on your exams, by the way; that's really exciting!

Janet said...

That cake looks lovely and moist and yummy. I adore peaches!

Linda said...

Mmmm I have to go to a party on Saturday, I might just have to make this. Congrats on the test scores. I knew that you could do that.

Annie said...

Yum. I have frozen peaches in my freezer, I wonder if it would come out just as good??

Anonymous said...

Gail, of course we went to Keifer's? Where else can you get a decent gyro outside of NYC or Chicago? Yum!

Unknown said...

Gail - As Daddy said, "Of course!" The last two times he's come we've gone to Keifer's. We also went to a new Mediterranean restaurant called Jerusalem cafe. It is pretty good with very strong spices.

Jennifer - Thanks! I was super excited. The peaches have been GREAT!!! I got a basket a couple of weeks ago and got another basket today for $4. A much better price and better peaches than at the grocery store.

Janet - Thanks! It was very moist and the peaches were great.

Linda - Oooo, let me know if it turns out! Thanks for the congrats. I'm relieved that I don't have to worry about it anymore.

Annie - If they are separated into single slices it just might. If not, frozen peaches are always good for cobbler. I might be a little concerned that they would put off too much liquid when baking. Could be worth a try, though.

Daddy - What? No comment on the cake?! ;-) I always enjoy our Kiefer's visits. Do we need to try out Greektown in Chicago sometime?