Sunday, November 26, 2006

Green Beans Take 2 - Mushrooms




This is one of my favorite ways to have mushrooms. I decided to do these last Thanksgiving becuase I don't like having ONLY casseroles as the vegetable choices...this is how my family works! After the meal, my cousin said that they were the best green beans he had ever had...WOW, what a complement for such a simple dish! Since then I've taken them to prayer group and been asked multiple times how to make them. I have come to the conclusion that the simpler a dish is, the more impressive! I cook these a little longer than some people might. In the South we like our veggies tender. If you like more crunch to your beans, you could probably cook them according to package directions! :-)
If you use Kroger, use their normal sized bag of beans for these instruction (2) and the mushrooms in the bag. Also, this can easily be halved for a smaller family.
Green Beans with Mushrooms
2 packages frozen green beans (or one LARGE bag)
one bag/carton mushrooms
seasonings

Put a large pot of water to boil. When boiling, put beans in and cook until tender (or the texture you desire). Drain green beans. Saute mushrooms using PAM/cooking spray for oil. When tender, add green beans and season with garlic powder, Nature's Seasoning, etc. Eat up!

3 comments:

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

Yum, this sounds and looks good! I love both of those vegetables, but I don't think I've ever had them together. You just use the regular Kroger frozen bag, or the Private Selection label? Or have you used fresh before (I often pick up a bag of the fresh ones to just pop in the microwave). I am still loving that Nature's Seasoning you suggested, good stuff :)

Have a great day Claire :)

Lauren said...

I had green beans and mushrooms for Thanksgiving... a very delicious combo.

Unknown said...

Stacy - They're great! I just use the Kroger brand; no reason to spend more! :-) I have not used fresh for this before but I'm sure it would be great. I'm SO glad that you like the Nature's Seasoning. I told my aunt about that and she was glad I spread the word!

Lauren - Isn't it great?!