Sunday, July 02, 2006

Mmmm...Blueberries!

I LOVE blueberries. I put them on cereal, oatmeal, and yogurt. They are really good in yogurt after they've been frozen. When you put them in the yogurt they start to melt and get a nice, soft texture. Anyway, last Sunday I made blueberry muffins for breakfast. They are from the Come On In cookbook from the Jr. Civic League of Jackson, MS. These are really good with a light glaze over them!

Blueberry Muffins
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup shortening
1 egg, beaten
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup blueberries

Preheat oven to 400 F. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar. Cut in shortening until the mixture resembles a crumbly mixture. Combine egg and buttermilk. Stir into the dry mixture. Blend in blueberries. Dump onto floured surface and knead 4-5 times. Roll or pat to a 1/2 inch thickness. Cut with a 2.5 inch biscuit cutter. Place of a baking stone or sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Remove and drizzle with a glaze if desired. This is a yummy breakfast and full of antioxidant rich blueberries! Catch ARF day at Sweetnicks for more recipes with anti-oxidants!

4 comments:

The Cookbook Junkie said...

Yummy! I would probably call these scones though. I'm not sure if that's technically correct but that's what registers in my brain.

I haven't had good fresh blueberries in ages. I usually buy frozen since they're more flavorful than any of the fresh ones I can get my hands on here.

Anonymous said...

YES, I loved these! Home made biscuits with blueberries. I knew Claire was making breakfast, but didn't know what. If I didn't get that "you shouldn't have any more" look (maybe I only imagined it...) I would have eaten 5 or 6.

Do it again soon, lovely daughter!

Anonymous said...

That's my comment above with the c said

Unknown said...

Paula - I think the tag of scone or biscuit is a regional thing. I guess when I think of a scone it's in a pie slice shape and maybe denser than biscuits. This recipes is basically a buttermilk biscuit recipe with blueberries thrown in.

Daddy - took me a while to figure out who "c" was, even with your added note...sometimes I'm a little slow!