Sunday, August 19, 2012

Crock Pot Chili

The other day, D said that he thought we should have chili soon...in the 90 degree MS weather!  Ok, I can do that.  So I went in search of a crock pot chili.  I found several good looking ones and we will be trying them. 

We started with a pretty classic looking recipe.  It called for ground turkey but of course D wanted ground beef...we compromised and did half and half.  I honestly think that in this venue you wouldn't be able to tell much of a difference.  Then just add some beans, onions, chiles, and tomatoes. 

Simple and good.  K ate it up!  D liked it...deemed it too "brown."  I think he was tasting the chili powder.  Might decrease that some next time and add some red pepper or jalapenos for spice.  We all enjoyed it and I'll probably make it again...though D says I never make the same thing twice.  :-)

Crock Pot Three Bean Chili from SkinnyTaste
1/2 pound ground beef
1/2 pound ground turkey - I'd use 90/10 - you could use all turkey
1 small onion, chopped
28 ounces diced tomato
16 oz. tomato sauce
4.5 oz green chiles, drained (I used about 7 oz.)
15 oz. chickpeas (garbanzo beans), undrained
15 oz black beans, undrained
15 oz. small red beans, undrained
2 tablespoons chili powder

Brown turkey in a medium skilled.  When cooked through, drain fat off.  Original recipe says to cook onion with mean...I missed this and just added onion to crock pot...worked fine.  Put mean and all remaining ingredients in crock pot. Stir well.  You can put this together the night before, store in the refrigerator and then put the "bowl" in the electric portion the next morning, and go.  Cook on high for 6-8 hours (or low for 12 hours).  Top with cilantro and cheese.  Enjoy!

No comments: