Wednesday, June 20, 2012

An Old Favorite Jazzed Up

Who doesn't love a good rice krispie treat?!  A couple of months ago, Kroger had Rice Krispies on sale and I decided to try the gluten free version.  They weren't bad but I didn't really care for them to eat as cereal...so I decided to make some treats. 

The box instructions read as if there was some new, awesome recipe...but it really is just the classic recipe with the new cereal.  K started out helping me but it just wasn't as fun, apparently, as cookies or cupcakes!  I've always thought that rice krispie treats were hard to make because they are so sticky but these actually worked well. 

When I was done, I decided to top it off with some leftover white chocolate candy topping.  This was really a perfect use for the half-package that I had left.  I took some to work in the ER and sent the rest home with D.  The ER folks ate them quickly and D said that his family really liked them.  So, if you want a little twist on the traditional rice krispie treat use gluten free cereal...or top it with white chocolate...or both!  :-)

White Chocolate Topped Rice Krispie Treats
2 tablespoons butter
4 cups mini marshmallows
6 cups rice krispies
1/2 package white chocolate melting chocolate (the kind you use to cover cake balls, etc)

Melt marshmallows and butter in a sauce pan and stir until melted.  Once melted, stir in the cereal until well coated.  Pour mixture into greased OR wax paper coated 13 X 9 pan and press down with a cooking spray coated spatula.  Sprinkle some chocolate chips on top. Melt the chocolate per package instructions and spread over the krispie treats.  Place in refrigerator to allow chocolate to firm.  Cut into desired sized treats and enjoy!

No comments: