Saturday, October 15, 2011

For your Breakfast Pleasure

When I was growing up, my dad would make pancakes or waffles every Saturday.  A great tradition if you ask me!  Pancakes were always my favorite.  I guess I like the fluffiness. 

When everyone at work kept talking about how great the pancakes were I figured they were right...um, wrong!  The pancakes are kind of not good at all...thick, dense and just about tasteless.  I'll take my Daddy's please.  Thankfully, I have learned from him!  However, when I saw these pancakes on Jenna's site, I decided to try them out. 

They are definitely denser than the light, fluffy buttermilk variety...but they are good!  I've made them twice and decreased the amount of flour the second time because I like my pancakes a little less dense.  The whole wheat flour gives a nutty flavor that pairs nicely with the cinnamon and syrup.  For summer, the blueberries are great but I have a feeling that apples would be great in the fall!  Try them out...or, if you are in the mood for fluffiness, try my dad's!

Blueberry Pie Pancakes adapted from Jenna at EatLiveRun
1/2 cup blueberries
1/4 cup flour (ww pastry, white, spelt, Bob’s gluten-free, etc.) - I used whole wheat
2 T rolled oats
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2/3 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 T sugar or 1 packet stevia (omit if you don’t want sweet pancakes)
1/3 cup nondairy milk

If you want to add 1tsp-1Tbsp oil, you can...I did not and they were still great.

Combine dry ingredients in a bowl, then add wet. Mix, but don’t overmix. Cook on an oiled (or sprayed) pan, on low-medium, flipping each pancake once.  To know when to flip, watch the top of the pancake.  When you start to see bubbles throughout, you're ready to flip!  The second side will take less time.  Top with syrup and enjoy! 

For a fall flavor, try apples instead of blueberries.

1 comment:

Erica said...

Love pancakes! For dinner even more than breakfast! These look tasty- an apple addition would be perfect