Monday, May 02, 2011

Habits

One of the bad habits that I developed this year as an upper level was responding shortly when I get an admit from the ER.  I really noticed it in March when I was consistently getting admits after midnight (and nearly none prior) so that I didn't get any sleep!  I did not like noticing this habit in myself.  It doesn't show any of the characteristics that a Christian should have: kindness, grace, patience, etc. 

This week, for Eat. Live. Be. we are supposed to talk about a bad habit that we want to work on breaking.  Well, this is mine...my attitude at work and my goal to represent Jesus accurately is a huge part of my living!  So, my goal while on wards this month is to alert to my responses to people and to respond kindly and patiently.  We'll see how it goes! 

One of my other "habits" is not one that I'm aiming to stop...and that is making cookies for our call days!  The day I made these was another one of our long calls. 

We finally got to stop for supper around 9.  Actually, my intern's husband (also an intern) paged me and said that he had brough supper as a surprise for her.  So, I sent her down to the lounge with the promise that I would follow behind soon.  When I got there she was so excited...and we had dinner from a local Mediterranean restaurant...SO good!  Then, as I walked back to do some computer work I got another surprise...he had brought their baby without sharing that part....ha!  That was such a fun surprise.

 Anyway, I made these peanut butter fingers that night.  As WE ate the food he brought, E. ate cookie after cookie!  He  probably ate about 10 of them.  Needless to say, I didn't have any leftovers at the end of that call.  Once again, Southern Living has produced a delicious cookie!

Peanut Butter Fingers
1 cup chunky peanut butter
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup honey (I don't think I had this, so it works without)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs (called for wheat germ, which would be GREAT! but I didn't have it)
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips, melted

Preheat oven to 325.  Cream peanut butter, sugar, butter, honey, vanilla, and egg together until creamy.  Add the flour, soda, and cracker crumbs.  Mix well.  Shape the dough into 1 inch balls and then roll into logs.  Place on baking sheet or stone.  Place in oven and bake for 12 minutes.  Cool 1 minute and then remove to cooling rack to completely cool.  Meanwhile, melt the chips in the microwave.  Then dip one end or side of the cookie in the chocolate and set aside for the chocolate to firm.  Enjoy!

4 comments:

The JR said...

The cookies look good.

I guess the road to self improvement is recognizing a problem and working toward a solution.

Rivki Locker said...

Making cookies is a great habit - don't stop! These cookies look just wonderful. Love the low baking at 325 to keep them soft and chewy.

Lisa said...

The smell of peanut butter led me here :) Cookie baking is definitely a good habit, unless you eat most of them like I do! I have so many habits that need breaking, but I'll think about them after I make these lol

Joanne said...

I think when you're working long hours, it's hard not to get grumpy and snippy but it's definitely something to strive for! And I'm sure eating cookies helps. Especially ones as tasty as these!