Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Pumpkin Granola

There are two camps in granola, light and feathery...and crunchy.  I have a recipe for both!  Tonight, I'll give you the crunchy.  I saw this recipe on Maria's site.  The title intrigued me and her pictures were just tempting.  After I made the pumpkin truffles, I needed something to make with the remaining pumpkin...this was perfect!  I overbaked it slightly and didn't quite break up the pieces as much as I should.  The flavor was great and I loved coming across the random nut. 

I used this in my morning yogurt and, sometimes, just as a snack straight out of the container.  I must say, I was really excited about my container...it was a container that a local pediatrician group gave us peanut brittle in...I decided that it would be of great use in my kitchen and eveyone else said to take it!  YAY!  If you love granola, give this one a try!  Come back soon for another recipe, light and feathery granola!

Pumpkin Granola adapted from Two Peas and Their Pod
5 cups rolled oats
1.5 teaspoons cinnamon
¾ tsp. salt
¾ cup brown sugar
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
¼ cup applesauce
¼ cup maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup walnuts

Preheat the oven to 325° F. In a large bowl, combine oats, spices, and salt. Mix well. In a medium bowl, whisk together brown sugar, pumpkin puree, applesauce, maple syrup and vanilla extract. Whisk until smooth. Pour wet ingredients into oat mixture and stir until the oats are evenly coated. They will be moist. Evenly spread the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet.  Be sure to break up the mixture to the size you desire the granola to be.  Bake for 20 minutes. Remove pan from the oven and stir. Bake for an additional 15-20 minutes or until the granola is golden and crisp. Remove from oven.  If you desire to add dried fruit, add at this time. Let cool completely. Store in an airtight container.  Enjoy!

3 comments:

Joanne said...

I would love this mixed into some cereal or cottage cheese! So much pumpkin goodness!

The JR said...

MMMMmmmm..... I luv granola and granola bars. It's one of my favorite snacks.

Anonymous said...

I am addicted to pumpkin. Love, love, love it! I cannot wait to try this. Thanks for such a great recipe!