Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Summer Pie

his past week my Sunday School class had a get together.  I offered to bring a dessert and wanted to take something different and fun.  I thought about taking cheesecake simple because I LOVE graham cracker crust!  I also thought about taking cupcakes just because they're fun!  Then my mom reminded me of a DELICIOUS spring/summer pie. 

It is pretty easy, light, delicious, and ALMOST healthy!  Another bonus, it makes TWO pies, so this is great for a large group.  It is called strawberry, mandarin, pineapple pie.  This is a pie that my mom has been making since early in her marriage.  The recipe calls for two bakes pie crusts; however, you could probably use a graham cracker crust, though you might want to be careful as it has the potential to get soggy quickly. 

The sweetened condensed milk really gives the filling a wonderful sweet taste BUT if you wanted to make the pie less sweet or more healthy you could simply leave that portion out.  I hope you are able to enjoy this sometime with your family and friends!

Strawberry, Mandarin, Pineapple Pie 
2 baked pie shells 1 carton (1 lb) strawberries, cut into pieces 
1 can mandarin oranges (in juice)
1 can crushed pineapple (I'm pretty sure the SMALL can), drained 
1 container cool whip (I used sugar free)
1 cup (not the whole can) fat free, sweetened condensed milk 

Stir together fruit, cool whip, and milk.  Divide mixture between the two pie shells and refrigerate.  If you plan on serving the pie the next day, I would suggest making the filling but NOT putting it in the shells until an hour or so until you serve it to prevent the crust from becoming soggy; just store the filling in the refrigerator in a bowl.  This could also help keep so extra fluid that may "drain" from the fruit from causing a soupy filling.

2 comments:

The JR said...

This pie looks very good. I've never had one of these and if I wasn't on this stinkin' diet I'd have to give it a try.

Abby said...

Makes me yearn for summer! How great would this pie be for July Fourth?!