Friday, January 16, 2009

Pie and Pictures

I don't know if y'all have seen the picture meme going around, but I have and thought it looked like fun. However, I don't do memes unless I'm tagged. Well, I finally got tagged by Jill! So...here it is. I'm supposed to choose the fourth folder and fourth picture in my picture file. Unfortunately, it's not a very good picture. This is from my friend Rachel's wedding. I was trying to be artsy and get her in the picture with the cake; instead, it just looks silly! Oh, well! Now, I tag Red Dirt Mummy, Emily, Brilynn, and Jane.

Now, on to the pie! My family doesn't really have a traditional Christmas dessert. We do always have prime rib roast, though it's not my favorite, and squash casserole, one of my favorites! So, this year, when Mama asked what we were having for dessert, I said that I wanted to try an apple pie. I had never made one until now and have wanted to try for a while. When I think of apple pie, I think of a wonderfully layered pie, with yummy tart apples. Well, mine was NOT wonderfully layered...I used a pie plate that was too large in diameter. I wanted it's depth but should have gone with the smaller plate. I think that would have helped the topping more concentrated over the apples. In the end, I had fun and dressed it up a bit with caramel sauce and cinnamon. Despite it's original humble look, it turned out pretty good, and, as my dad said, looked homemade! I'm taking that as a compliment! Apple Crumb Pie (from Mama's recipe box)

Pie Crust (from Granny)
1 cup sifted flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 T water
1/3 cup shortening
Sift flour and salt into bowl. Remove 1/4 cup flour and blend to a paste. Cut shortening into remaining flour until pieces are size of small peas. Add paste to flour mixture. Mix with fork until dough comes together and can be shaped into a ball (this is best done by putting a piece of saran wrap over the bowl, dumping it, and pressing the dough together.) Place in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes (not a must, but I find it works better this way). Roll out crust to 1/8 inch thick to cover 9-inch pie pan


5 to 7 tart apples (5 cups)
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 t. ground cinnamon
1/3 cup sugar
3/4 cup flour
6 T. margarine

Pare apples, core, cut into eighths, arrange in unbaked pie shell. Mix 1/2 c. sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle over applies. Mix 1/3 c. sugar, flour, cut in margarine till crumbly. Sprinkle over apples. Bake at 400 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes 'til done. Serve warm with ice cream.

10 comments:

Katrina said...

The pie looks great! Apple is, hmm, maybe my favorite!
About those oatmeal cookies and cinnamon chips--they would be fine and still great without them. The original pilot's recipe just has raisins and walnuts. The cookie has a great crisp/chewy texture that I love about an oatmeal cookie.

Red Dirt Mummy said...

I like the pic! Thanks for the tag, I will do it one day next week.

And the pie? Looks fab!

Jane said...

I love some apple pie! I have a very similar recipe. Thanks for the tag...I posted my pic this morning!

Unknown said...

Katrina - Thanks! I love any kind of fruit pie...b/c it's healthy, right?! I'm going to try the cookies sometime, I'll just get creative with the chips thought I really do wish I could find the cinnamon ones here!

RDM - Yay! I can't wait to see what your picture brings!

Jane - Cute picture! So much better than mine.

Unknown said...

The apple crumb pie looks amazing...but I have A GAZILLION picture files - lol.

Jane said...

Oh tha pie sounds good! I haven't made apple pie in a while. Some years I end up with a lot of apples I make & freeze some pies.
My recipe is just like yours, only I put on a top crust.
And that ice cream is a must!
YUM!

eatme_delicious said...

Mmm wow look at that pie crust!!

Abby said...

There are VERY few things better in this world than warm apple pie and cold vanilla ice cream! And caramel sauce, too? Heavenly!

Jane said...

Hi Claire!
I wanted to stop in & tell you that I gave you an award!
You can see it here:
http://janedoesntblog.blogspot.com/2009/01/lemonade-award.html
I had never received a blog award, so I found it so much fun giving it out!

Unknown said...

Darius - Thanks! I know...the pictures wasn't really what I wanted to turn up but it did!

Jane - My blueberry pie has a top crust but the recipe mama had was a crumb top and I like those, though this one wasn't as crispy as I'd have liked.

EMD - Thanks! Granny's specialty.

Abby - Yep...I saw it sitting in the fridge and thought it would go well.

Jane - Thanks!!!! I'll get around to tagging others later this week.