Monday, April 02, 2007

Friends are the best...Bar none!

Well, so far I have stuck to my resolution to have someone over every month. In fact, March I had two separate groups…the post-dance group and a dinner and movie on Thursday. I served Curry Chicken Divan, which I’ve posted about before. ME brought potatoes and bread, RW brought salad (Romaine with strawberries, feta, and raspberry vinegarette), and I made sweet tea and dessert.

The dessert is a peanut butter brownie that Alicat posted a while back. Although, she’s not blogging anymore her recipes are still up and there are a lot of good ones, so check it out. Anyway, I decided to “lighten” this up just a bit by using yogurt instead of oil. I think it turned out a little more cakey that it would have otherwise, but it was still yummy and well received. It wasn’t dense but wasn’t ultra-lite either. Just a nice, cakey peanut butter brownie. As you can see in Alicat’s pictures, hers were quite fudgy owing to the use of oil. I’ll probably do it normally next time to compare the results, but if you’re looking to lighten up a bit, this is a good option.

I think this would even be good split in half with some jelly spread between the layers to make a peanut butter and jelly brownie. Try it today as today is National Peanut Butter and Jelly day!

Peanut Butter Brownies
1 box yellow or while cake mix (I used white)
2 eggs
2/3 cup peanut butter (I would use more next time)
1/3 cup oil (I used yogurt)

Mix oil, eggs, and cake mix until thoroughly combined. Add peanut butter and mix until incorporated.* Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes (13 X 9).

*Oops! I missed this part and mixed it all together at one time. Doing it as instructed would lead to a marbled appearance.

9 comments:

sher said...

Sigh!!! Those look so good! I love peanut butter. I love brownies......so, I'm really wanting one of those!

The Cookbook Junkie said...

I remember when I was younger, and single, my best friend and I would take turns having Wednesday night dinners, either just the two of us or whoever else we could round up. It was great since we both lived alone and it was nice to cook for other people for a change.

gail@more than a song said...

A meal with friends is always just the best thing! That curry chicken looks very good.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you... there is nothing quite like opening up your home to share a meal with friends. It is the best thing! We do it almost every weekend :)

Peabody said...

So nice that you all get together like that. Always fun and good stress relief too.

Unknown said...

Sher - I LOVE PB, too! I think these would be better a little fudgier but they were still good.

Paula - I don't get to do it often, but when I do, it is SO much fun!

Gail - Thanks...I really like it and want to try curry in more things.

Kristen - SO much fun. We did it every Sunday when my parents were here.

Peabody - and stress relief is something I need!

Anonymous said...

Sounds fantastic!

Anonymous said...

Wow .. I love this recipe -- something easy enough that the kids can do. :-)

Aren't dinner parties great? Food just tastes better when you have good friends around.

Heather said...

Love the lower fat/cal option on the brownies. I have never heard of hence tried subbing yogurt for oil. I have always used applesauce.
Good Tip, thanks.